bear harassment

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: bear harassment

Post by ERIC »

Wow, great photos!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Really like the photo of the fish from above Russ.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

That's 2 amazing photos, Russ. Thanks for sharing.
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Hetchy »

Holy hole in the donut Russ!
I haven't seen that many fish in one place since the Wind River Range!
Thanks for sharing. :D
Hey.. How come we don't have an emoticon with a fish? We need a fish-oticon Eric! :thumbsup:
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

rlown wrote:A friend of mine caught this pic during the Koke spawn in ~Sept at Taylor Creek near Lk Tahoe.
TAYLORCM.JPG
This is what they were after:
TAYLORCL.JPG
He had his Golden Retriever with him, but given the situation, he put him back in the truck. Granted, this is a different situation from what we see in the back country.

Not sure if i'd want to be that close to a bear holding a fish in his mouth.
Nice Pics of the Koke and the bear. The bear looks hungry. Thanks for sharing.

Texan
rbaldini
Topix Novice

Post by rbaldini »

My only two nights in the Sierras this year were two nights in Young Lakes north of Tuolomne meadows in July, and it was my first trip to the Sierras in years.
Sure enough, had a bear scurry right past our tent at about sunset on our second night. So that's one bear per two days - a pretty high contact rate!
I figure they're more common in and around Yosemite than in other places, right?
-Ryan
bcrowell
Topix Acquainted

Post by bcrowell »

rlown wrote:I asked because I haven't seen a bear since 2007. In the backcountry, they don't even seem interested anymore in us since we went to bear cans.. Probably a good thing.
I haven't seen a bear since 1982. I think it's because I now avoid the bear magnets like Little Yosemite.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

bcrowell wrote:
rlown wrote:I asked because I haven't seen a bear since 2007. In the backcountry, they don't even seem interested anymore in us since we went to bear cans.. Probably a good thing.
I haven't seen a bear since 1982. I think it's because I now avoid the bear magnets like Little Yosemite.
Hi all. My first post. My first backpacking trips were in Tuolume Meadows in about 1974. That was before bear canisters. The only bears I've seen or heard (with the exception of The Marble Mountains in Northern California) were in Yosemite. But in many off and on-trail areas and after the introduction of bear canisters, I've seen only one other--a cub, not far from Tuolumne Meadows. A ranger told me that because of bear canisters, bears in other parts of the Sierra other than the Yosemite area, don't associate people as a possible food source, that more than a generation of bears have grown up with bear canisters and don't associate backpackers with a ready food supply. That's been borne out by my experience.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Welcome aboard SweetSierra!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

maverick wrote:Welcome aboard SweetSierra!
Thank you!