bear harassment

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
slade
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: bear harassment

Post by slade »

Concur with SweetSierra--"because of bear canisters, bears ... don't associate people as a possible food source ... more than a generation of bears have grown up with bear canisters and don't associate backpackers with a ready food supply."
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

I have seen bears on the trail in yosemite and seki, always somewhat near the trailhead though, and as far as I know I have never been visited at night by a bear.

Cats, on the other hand, I am somewhat aware of as predatory attacks have happened in places I go a lot, I have seen them as well, tracks scat ect...more of a reality for me as bears habitat is rather small in so cal. Nothing you can do about cats though, so actually I don't worry about it :) just aware.
Quercus
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Quercus »

I've done about a half-dozen short, mostly exploratory trips this Spring in locations such as around Hell Hole and French Meadows Reservoirs, the Lost Coast, and Ishi Wilderness. I've seen fresh tracks and scat in all of these locations, but have had zero direct encounters. No problems whatsoever. I'm using a bear can at all times.