If you only had one more place to hike to...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: If you only had one more place to hike to...

Post by Cross Country »

The lake I'm refering to is at 10200 feet and north of windy ridge and it's outlet flows into Cartridge Creek. It's apparently not one of the Hoorseshoe Lakes. Is this that one?
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Take-a-Hike »

No...this is the uppermost Horseshoe.
I did see the lake u r referring to, but did not go down that low..stayed to the n/east enroute to White Pass.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

This kind of criteria spins-up very personal elements- for example the otherwise uninteresting peaks between Hwy's. 88 and 108, because that is where my grandparents introduced me to the Sierra and I first found my backcountry legs. But other than that maybe Lakes Basin, or the Cathedral Range (north to Mt. Conness), because I've had so many great climbing and rambling experiences there. Other than that almost any eastside trailhead will do.

But the book of life has a few unwritten chapters for me yet, like the east ridge Russell which is on the bucket list- maybe summer of 2012.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

There are so many places....but I would return to the Dumbbells (if physically capable), not only because it's the kind of isolated off trail place I like so much but for sentimental reasons, for my trip there with my wife 17 years ago remains our favorite. The "one trip" would go to 11393 then Barrett Lakes, then Amphitheater, then Dumbbells, then Lakes Basin, then another trailless destination then out Taboose.

If something less physically demanding, then it would be a certain spot in the Dinkey Lakes. With my dad, that certain spot was the area above Saddlebag. With me and Judy there is that one place in the Dinkeys (although we might feel differently if it does in fact go fishless). Then there is an even easier off trail spot that is a favorite of the kids--we took them there on their first two backpacking trips. No doubt the sentimental value there will grow with time.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Is this the lake north of WIndy Ridge? It is below Gray Pass on northwest side. I camped at the little pond above this lake on Ropers High Route this summer.

Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Great thread, but Whoa, this is a hard one! Been reading all these wonderful posts and getting reminded of so many places I never got to - - so tempting to imagine the possibilities. OK, so if I hafta, my choice would be Sixty Lakes Basin. First, beautiful landscapes and skylines throughout, especially from Kearsarge Pass entrance then over Glen Pass (plus the fantasy of using Dragon Pass as an alternate access). Second, so much to see around Rae Lakes, where its so comfortable but there's never enough time. Last and best, my wife and I spent part of our honeymoon packing into that country for a week - - her first wilderness trek. Great memories! :wink:
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

Thanks Wandering Daisy. I hope someone who knows for sure answers this. The is what I would expect it to look like.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Here is another photo - this one taken the next day from Gray Pass. It is a beautiful lake. It is farther down to the lake than it looks like. The afternoon I was at the little pond above it, the weather was stormy and I was out of energy so did not go down to walk around this lake. I regret that.

Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Take-a-Hike »

This is the lake that I saw on the same route, that, TMK, is the only lake past the Horseshoes that is of any significance on the SHR until you get into the basin below Grey Pass. In Doyle's chronicles, I believe he refers to it as the "lake on the edge of forever"...or some such phrase. And,yes, it is a ways down there....it bears a visit, if for no other reason than to peer over the edge, but time was an issue on the trek to Lakes Basin and something we didn't have enough of.....oh..for another visit w/more time and energy...
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

All these picture from the Grey Pass area are really fantasitc.

And on my trip, I'd definately loop over to 60 Lakes Basin, as was earlier suggested, or to McGee Lakes.