Bag nights?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bag nights?

Post by rlown »

Just looking over the TR's, and the bag nights don't seem to match up to TR's.. I'm guilty as well, as I didn't post on my puppet trip.. yet..

So.. where are the TR's?

Russ
hikerchick395
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by hikerchick395 »

Not one peak bag this year :(

Only 5 nights in the backcountry and that was a "first"...staying in one place, basecamping.

Not out as much as usual in my backyard. But visited 7 national parks and 6 states.

First time on an airplane in 19 years.

Camping out...32 nights in a trailer, 18 nights car camping (tent,) 2 nights in a tent cabin and (not camping) 7 nights on a cruise ship.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

rlown wrote:Just looking over the TR's, and the bag nights don't seem to match up to TR's.. I'm guilty as well, as I didn't post on my puppet trip.. yet..

So.. where are the TR's?

Russ
too busy hiking, looking for jobs, and studying for a #$%&**^%$#!@@#$ licensing exam.

(My actual feelings about the exam would need several pages of cursing, so I summarized.)

I managed one trip report, and a disorganized incomplete photo gallery at backpackgallery.org.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I agree with Rlown. My biggest year was 45 but it wasn't my best year, not by a long shot. My best 2 years were 1st, a 25 day year with my son and 2nd, a 30 day year with my wife.

Mike near Baxter Lake

Diane pointing at Mt Whitney (I've always thought it was that) from Pickett Creek (West of Whitney). This was on a 15 day trip that for which I may one day do a TR (or not).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ceragold5150
Topix Acquainted

Post by ceragold5150 »

Eight nights. :)
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Take-a-Hike »

I don't backpack anymore
As one of the many moderators here I used as inspiration for me and the wife to get out and go places after we both turned 50, (not that I mean to imply u r anywhere near that age :o ...it's just when I found out about this site :nod: ), I have to wonder..... Why?
That's got to rank right up there with Joe DiMaggio's consecutive hits record
I'd say it's more Cal Ripkin-esque in consecutive games played....like ironman/womanesque.

For us....it was about 10, on 2 separate shortened trips. Next year could prove different as I'm already planning the "epic journey" across the Sierra..plus I may be forced into retirement a bit prematurely as my position at work (education) was just eliminated last week..(new boss, wet behind the ears, idiot)..wife thinks I can join her comfortably in retirement, I'm not sure I'm ready yet.
Time will tell...
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Snow Nymph wrote:I don't backpack anymore.
Yea Snow Nymph but I remember when you almost or in fact did win a contest for most bag nights in a year! Wasn't it a backpack mag contest or something????? How many nights did you get that year?
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Shawn wrote:Zero, none, nada, 0. :angry:

2010 was to be my year to catch up from too many days at work and spend lots of time in the mountains. Apparently karma is working against me as just the opposite occurred.

Thank goodness for HST, as least I can enjoy the TR's, photos and stories from others.
I hear ya, Shawn. This was my worst year for Sierra activity in, I don't know how many years... :tear:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Snow Nymph wrote:I don't backpack anymore, but got one bag night on Whitney (Sept 29-30) this year. It was my first bag night on the trail since 2008, and reminded me why I don't backpack anymore.
Umm, okay. But I hope you're good with that, 'cause all I have to say is...
Snow Nymph wrote:I sleep in my truck every weekend, usually 2 nights unless I'm in Mammoth (stay in our condo). I have not added up the number of peaks, nights in the truck or hikes, but its up there. The only number I keep track of is consecutive weekends, which is 249.
Wow. Un....freakin'....real. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Only 19 nights backpacking this year, 9 nights car camping, and another 14 nights sleeping between sheets in an old Mining Camp and Hotels directly leading to day hikes. I have no idea how many day hikes I took this year, probably well over 30 if you count cross country skiing. I have also spent a bunch of days this fall on the couch swilling beer and watching baseball and football and, just this week, basketball. (actually after a beer or two I often sleep during this phase of my life)

Life is good!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!