Bag nights?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bag nights?

Post by rlown »

Three is great!!.. Some bag nights aren't all that much fun.. :( like 12 hrs in a tent, not fun.. I have to admit, having the wind deflect the tent and bumping me every 15 mins was pleasant, as the tent did not fold.. fun to watch how far you can deflect aluminum. :)

Sure there are fun moments during the day, but, time in the tent beyond what you wanted.. not fun..
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

As in recent years past my mountain sleeping nights are not in the 30 range that they regularly reached in the 90's:

For the true High Sierra in 2010 it is but one night on a backpack trip and one night on a car camp (both with kids) for a grand total of 2.

Now if we add in some geology-related camping (all car camping), there is one night after a geology conference (near Carson Pass), two more (Yuba R. area) getting grad students started on their thesis projects, and one in the mid level Sierra on a grad class field trip, for a Sierra total of 6.

I do a spring geology mapping exercise (camping in Bay Area--really), with 7 nights of camping. I will do another mapping class with 3 nights of camping in the Bay area--10 total nights in the bag outside of the Sierra.

Thus, the total number of nights in a bag for 2010 will be 16 of which 2 were for "recreation" and 14 were related to my job. I didn't fish much in 2010. Still, I managed to fish 10 lakes I haven't fished before, bringing my Sierran career total to 661; the total number of different Sierra lakes fished in 2010 was 19.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

In the Sierra, 3 nights car camping and 10 nights backpacking. Since I broke my big toe on my right foot the second day of an 8 night trip, that trip was not what I had hoped for. At some point, I'll try to post a trip report, but with all the time I had on that trip for sitting around writing, that meant pages and pages and pages of notes I need to distill down to a coherent narrative. I'm just glad I live in a place surrounded by beautiful open space where my wife and I can day hike in near solitude and so not go crazy.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
diesel
Topix Acquainted

Post by diesel »

Only 9 nights. This was my first full season of backpacking in the Sierra (only did an overnighter to climb halfdome once before this year) and I loved it. I've gained more confidence and skill with each trip. It was an amazing feeling to be able to do my first solo trip this September in Mineral King.
Not a single day passes where I'm not reminiscing or recalling a particular moment of my trips in the Sierra. Many of the posters here have provided me with solid advice, trip ideas, and inspiration to keep going back.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Just looking over the TR's, and the bag nights don't seem to match up to TR's.. I'm guilty as well, as I didn't post on my puppet trip.. yet..

So.. where are the TR's?

Russ
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

Not one peak bag this year :(

Only 5 nights in the backcountry and that was a "first"...staying in one place, basecamping.

Not out as much as usual in my backyard. But visited 7 national parks and 6 states.

First time on an airplane in 19 years.

Camping out...32 nights in a trailer, 18 nights car camping (tent,) 2 nights in a tent cabin and (not camping) 7 nights on a cruise ship.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

rlown wrote:Just looking over the TR's, and the bag nights don't seem to match up to TR's.. I'm guilty as well, as I didn't post on my puppet trip.. yet..

So.. where are the TR's?

Russ
too busy hiking, looking for jobs, and studying for a #$%&**^%$#!@@#$ licensing exam.

(My actual feelings about the exam would need several pages of cursing, so I summarized.)

I managed one trip report, and a disorganized incomplete photo gallery at backpackgallery.org.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I agree with Rlown. My biggest year was 45 but it wasn't my best year, not by a long shot. My best 2 years were 1st, a 25 day year with my son and 2nd, a 30 day year with my wife.

Mike near Baxter Lake

Diane pointing at Mt Whitney (I've always thought it was that) from Pickett Creek (West of Whitney). This was on a 15 day trip that for which I may one day do a TR (or not).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ceragold5150
Topix Acquainted

Post by ceragold5150 »

Eight nights. :)
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Take-a-Hike »

I don't backpack anymore
As one of the many moderators here I used as inspiration for me and the wife to get out and go places after we both turned 50, (not that I mean to imply u r anywhere near that age :o ...it's just when I found out about this site :nod: ), I have to wonder..... Why?
That's got to rank right up there with Joe DiMaggio's consecutive hits record
I'd say it's more Cal Ripkin-esque in consecutive games played....like ironman/womanesque.

For us....it was about 10, on 2 separate shortened trips. Next year could prove different as I'm already planning the "epic journey" across the Sierra..plus I may be forced into retirement a bit prematurely as my position at work (education) was just eliminated last week..(new boss, wet behind the ears, idiot)..wife thinks I can join her comfortably in retirement, I'm not sure I'm ready yet.
Time will tell...