Bag nights?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Bag nights?

Post by BSquared »

Shawn wrote:Thank goodness for HST, as least I can enjoy the TR's, photos and stories from others.
I completely agree, Shawn! Alas, my total for the year is the same as yours! Next year will be different! (He keeps telling himself... :rolleyes: )
—B²
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by lostcoyote »

31 for me (14 with my kiddo)
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I think about 36, but my mind is even fuzzier than my math. Peaks I can do exactly: 6, three of which were new for me.

Rlown: There's no such thing as a bad night (or day) in the Sierra! Even the mishaps become memorable adventures. I wish I could say that about the rest of my life. :confused:
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

27 total bag nights if I counted correctly, 8 with kiddo, 7 with friends, the rest solo. Pretty average for me, figure I spend about one month out of the twelve in a sleeping bag.

I feel very fortunate. Run my own business and have a kid, but there are people to take over when I go out cavorting in the back country. I try to do the same when my partners need time off to do their thing.

I am hoping for one more this year, an over-nighter in Yosemite if the weather looks nice for a few days in November.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

This is an interesting thread. Wow, I'm really envious of those of you who've been able to go out just about every weekend thru the season (e.g. at 30 nights, if you went fri and sat each time, is 15 trips, so that's "almost every weekend" given the high sierra season length). How do you get anything else done outside of work hours? or are you all among those of us affected by the "economic downturn" and you don't have jobs? If so how do you pay for gas to get to the mountains?

I hardly camped at all for "a long time" while I was amongst those ranks, because I couldn't pay the $100/trip for gas. Now that I'm working again, personal circumstances have kept me from going as often as I'd like. So this year (so far) I got in a mere 8 nights... :crybaby:

Do you all work short work weeks? don't have jobs? have tons of PTO? own your own businesses like snusmumriken? Enquiring minds want to know :D
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

The relatively large amount of time I spent in the backcountry this year was due mostly to some special circumstances. A combination of graduating in May, working as a field tech in Kings Canyon and the Golden Trout Wilderness through July, and then heading up to the mountains nearly every weekend since beginning a typical Mon-Fri job in August has given me a lot of time to wander this season. I'm usually lucky to make around ten trips per year though, with maybe half of those being of the up-and-back day trip variety, so count me as also envious of those of you who are able to get out there so often.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I don't backpack anymore, but got one bag night on Whitney (Sept 29-30) this year. It was my first bag night on the trail since 2008, and reminded me why I don't backpack anymore. I sleep in my truck every weekend, usually 2 nights unless I'm in Mammoth (stay in our condo). I have not added up the number of peaks, nights in the truck or hikes, but its up there. The only number I keep track of is consecutive weekends, which is 249.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

That's got to rank right up there with Joe DiMaggio's consecutive hits record!
ericZ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ericZ »

THREE! (i'm embarrassed)

eric
fresno, ca.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

ericZ wrote:THREE! (i'm embarrassed)

eric
fresno, ca.
Nothing embarrassing about having a busy life full of other activities and responsibilities.

One reason I like backpacking - it's not a competition, unless you really must have it be one in order for you to enjoy it. It can be any miles, any trail, accessible for anyone of any age or ability.