Tehipite Valley | High Sierra Topix  

Tehipite Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Re: Tehipite Valley

Postby vandman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:42 am

Tehipite Dome in the evening from the NW rim. Vintage Fuji Velvia chrome shot in 1987.
Attachments
tehipite dome sunset july1987 72.jpg

vandman
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Postby vandman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:01 am

Tehipite Dome from the Little Tehipite area. A little to the west from here, there is a natural definitive line where the rock changes from white granite to orange metamorphic foothill rock. I brought a mask and snorkel with me on this trip and swam with many big trout in the green pools of The Kings. A bit like paradise.
Attachments
Tehipite Valley dome from lil tv72.jpg
vandman
Topix Regular

Postby East Side Hiker » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks to all (vandman, lambertiana, Tehipite Tom) for the beautiful pictures and the inspirational comments. And special thanks to Tehipite Tom for the Cal Flora link. Wow. Tehipite Valley jewelflower!!! I definately am a jewelflower fan, and have seen several endemic ones (Mt. Diablo being one).

As far as the shape of the canyon, I was only referring to the general concept that canyons formed by large glaciers are usually referred to as being "U" shaped; canyons formed by erosion (downcutting) are normally referred to as "V" shaped. Thats how Muir got it over on Whitney.

Needless to say, as all the pictures show, its going to be a butt-kicking descent/ascent and I am lookinng forward to exploring the habitats.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Previous

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping