Snow in emigrant this week?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sirlight
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Snow in emigrant this week?

Post by sirlight »

Hello all,
Been lurking around this site for a while and this is my first post.

I am planning a trip to emigrant starting this friday. This will be out of crabtree trailhead heading toward huckleberry lake. I know there was some nasty weather this weekend. Does anyone know if there was enough snow to obscure the trail.
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Re: Snow in emigrant this week?

Post by Ozark Flip »

Some co-workers are leaving tomorrow morning for a trip into the Emigrant (same general area). I don't know if I'm going to tag along or go somewhere else. You should be fine. Counting on a forcast of day highs in the mid-50's and night lows in mid-20's with clear trails in that area. That's our thought anyway.
sirlight
Topix Regular

Post by sirlight »

I just talked with the ranger in pinecrest. She does not think the snow will be a problem. Weather is looking great for most of the week. Will give a trip report when I return mid-week.
fedak
Founding Member

Post by fedak »

The snow around Sonora pass seems to have mostly fallen above 9-10k (And the east side seems to have been hit far harder than the west side)

So unless you are hiking out of the Sonora or St Mary's Pass (Or planning on summiting any of the 10k+ peaks in the area) then you should be fine until the next storm hits.