Planning for Yosemite backpack

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Planning for Yosemite backpack

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I personally would do BOTH Clouds Rest and Half Dome. Simply go over the top of Clouds Rest and come down the trail to the junction with the John Muir Trail and camp here. EARLY next AM (last day of trip) do Clouds Rest BEFORE the crowds and then walk out. Do not miss the Mist Trail - much better than the John Muir Trail. Plan the last day mid-week or at some time when you do not need a special permit. Avoid Little Yosemite Valley at all costs!

I have climbed Half Dome many times - with cables up, without cables up and on a route next to the cabels. I love it! I feel like a kid at a playground. It is very true that it can be a bit unsafe if you are in the massive crowds going up or down. Just avoid the crowds. The thrill of Half Dome IS the cables. The view is nice too but the cables are a classic. I think it is a splendid finish to a 10-day trip.

It seems that people either LOVE the Half Dome route or HATE it. I do not know how you will feel about it - don't know until you try.
amigo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Planning for Yosemite backpack

Post by amigo »

Thanks for all the replies. Re Half Dome...

I understand why many people would want nothing to do with HD and why it would be better to hike up something like Clouds Rest, for example. Well, we hope to hike up both :) We plan on doing some more "touristy" stuff and some less (such as in Ansel Adams Wilderness and hopefully in the Cathedral Peaks area). As well, we hope to head up Half Dome either very early morning or just before sunset, when I suppose there are fewer people. That's ok with us. As with many people, we just feel we want to do it.....at least once.

In the end, HD will be a half-day ordeal, I think. No big deal. We also intend on hiking down towards Yosemite Valley from HD ... another super-highway, right? Oh, well.

Last year, we hiked down South Kaibab and up Bright Angel trails in Grand Canyon, first time there. Even though there was no shortage of hikers, some in running shoes just out to do a small hike, I'm glad I did it. It was amazing.

As well, on the same trip, we hiked up Angel's Landing in Zion NP in Utah, another popular place. We're really glad we did it even though there also was no shortage of people there.

So, we accept the fact that we will be visiting some places with more people than others, but hey, such is life. A bit of touristy mixed in with some wilder places never killed anyone. Variety is the spice of life, I always say. Besides, I'm hoping this trip will be the first of many to the Sierra Nevada. Scouting trip, you might say. The whole region sounds nothing short of spectacular.

Again, thanks for all the comments.