Granny does Roper's High Route IV

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Granny does Roper's High Route IV

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Longri- Ropers High Route was never meant to be a set-in-stone route. He does describe Alpine Col and an alternate route. I do not think he was anymore set on Snow Tongue vs Alpine Col. It is those who have put his route up on the internet, with GPS tracks an all, that have turned is originally "fluid" route into what many perceive as set-in-stone purity. Not only Alpine Col vs. Snow Tongue, Roper offers many alternatives all along the route, and it is up to each person to choose.

Having done both, each has its problems; Alpine Col does have a LOT of large talus blocks. I recall taking a leap over deep gap between blocks. Getting around the lake below is very slow if you are not really good hopping talus. I did Snow Tongue early season, when it was very unstable, not just loose rock but the entire foundation of the slope was wet, ready to slump. I personally rather jump gaps between large, but more stable, talus than get on a slope that has an unstable base. Later season when totally dry, Snow Tongue simply has loose surface rock.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I know his route isn't set in stone. I know he mentions alternatives. But he did choose a specific route and publish it as such.

You think he essentially just tossed a coin? That Snow Tongue Pass and Alpine Col were, in his mind, interchangeable? I suspect he had reasons for selecting one over the other. Maybe he doesn't like talus. Who knows?
macpaulster
Topix Novice

Post by macpaulster »

Roper was intent on following the routes of the early explorers of the High Sierra, and it is my belief that this is the reason he chose Snow Tongue over Alpine Col. James Hutchinson traveled Snow Tongue Pass in 1904, and Roper discusses this fact at length in his guide.
LonePine
Topix Acquainted

Post by LonePine »

Thanks WD for a wonderful report and photos. Due to health problems I can't get out this year but reading your stories inspires me greatly. Thank You!
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Interesting conjecture. I wonder if it's true? I don't recall him giving that reason in his book. I think his stated criteria were that the route be at or near timberline, avoid trails, and also avoid difficulties. But he also thought Alpine Col to be easier than Snow Tongue so he must have had other criteria as well.
QITNL
Topix Acquainted

Roper's High Route

Post by QITNL »

I recently picked up a copy of the book.

I kept bumping into people where I wasn't expecting to find them. They all said they we're doing Roper's High Route.

When I hike off-trail, I want to make sure I'm off-trail. So I bought a copy of the book. Off the internet. It was real cheap.

I've only looked at maybe two pages so far. Here's my review: what's up with all this flowery nonsense? The Roper I know and love is wry and dry. If a climb needs iron, he specifies it.

This High Route crap - he's getting all emotional. He's naming passes after flowers? Who do you think you are, John Muir or something?

Now that I have the book, I should read the rest of it. To make sure I avoid the High Route.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

People do mellow out (become flowery) in their old age. I am not sure to take your comments seriously- more likely you said this in jest. :confused: However good comments to keep all those idiots off the route! :D

The book is a better armchair read than a detailed guide, and I think that is exactly what Roper intended. The book was in print, out there for many years and few people actually did the route. Then came the internet. I too am sad that it has become so used- and I attribute it partly to the horrible practice of internet provided GPS tracks. When I first did sections of the route over 15 years ago, there was hardly an off-trail section that had more than a hint of a trail. When I actually did it in 2010, you could see use-trails popping up and cairns placed. I know those who put up GPS tracks do not do so with the intent of having people put up cairns, but that IS what happens.

Honestly, anyone with off-trail experience, maps and Google Earth, and willing to put in the time, can make up their own "high route" through the Sierra. Probably best nowadays to keep it secret.
gregodorizzi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gregodorizzi »

I often wonder if Roper is on HST but goes by an inconspicuous name. Maybe he would giggle at our speculation of his intent.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Old age? Roper was 42 when he wrote the book.

His prose is the same in other works even if the subject is different. This is a book about a hiking route. Hiking is intrinsically a boring activity to describe. What else is there to write about in addition to the route details? It's not just wildflowers. He goes on and on and on about the magnificent trees, rocks dappled with lichen, soulful lakes, forbidding distant peaks, the ever-changing weather, the history blah blah blah blah blah.

I've read all the words while sitting in the tent, otherwise bored. Sometimes I've found it interesting or educational. But I'd prefer to just have the facts in a straightforward manner. Like: "stay left here". He does have that too but you have to sift through text sometimes to find it.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

In the technical climbing world, 40 IS considered old, considering the crazy life-style of climbers in the Yosemite golden year!

Roper has the right to write HIS book any way he pleases! Does not matter if you like it or not. I do not think he cared a bit about how the book would sell. He also was one of the authors of "Fifty Classic Climbs of North America, 1979" which is mostly historical with a very brief route description at the end.