3-day, part x-country route recommendation

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

3-day, part x-country route recommendation

Post by oleander »

Hi,

I'd like some recommendations for 3-day, two-night Sierras routes that are at least part x-country.

More details,

Level 3-4 hikers,
Comfortable to Class 3 but prefer "pleasant" Class 1-3 (don't care for going 2000 feet up loose scree!),
Prefer no snow (should be doable this late in the season),
Average maybe 10 mi/day on trail, 6 mi/day off trail.

Looking for big mountain scenery/alpine/high (10k+)/spectacular,
Since it's such a short trip, and we like "high", I suppose we need to start on trailhead at least 8500k,
An easy hitchhike shuttle is acceptable.

The ideas that immediately came to mind are

1) Minaret-Ediza loop (although that's more like 2 days, and I've already done it); or

2) In Rock Creek/Mono Pass, over Hopkins Pass, and out McGee Pass. (I've been in both these trailheads, like them very much, but never been over Hopkins Pass.)

3) Tablelands, from Pear Lake. Can we really get "up there" with just 3 days to play with? It looks like it, but I've never been there so not sure. Specific route recommendations would be great.

There must be a *lot* more places I simply haven't thought of.

Thank you!
- Oleander
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 3-day, part x-country route recommendation

Post by maverick »

Dusy Basin, Sabrina Lake area, Big Pine are some good places for 2 nighter's
especially the last two, for some Dusy would be to much, plus your days are
getting shorter.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Regarding your Tablelands plan, it can if fact be done on a 3 day, 2 night trip. If you hike beyond Pear Lake on day 1 you can fairly easily get up to a nice place to camp (by one of the unnamed ponds on the S. flank of the Tablelands--did this on a 2 night trip in 1979). Going all the way over the top to a spot on the north side of Tablelands on day 1 can be done, but that is a fairly stiff hike (did it this way on a trip in 2002 to open up a longer trip).

As for other 3 day options, the Echo Lake-Matthes Lake area in central Yosemite is fun--more fun still (for off trail enthusiasts) with the take off near Pywiack dome.

You can go directly up Green Creek (out of Bridgeport) over Virginia Pass (I think I have the pass name right) into trailless northern Yosemite without too much ado on day 1. The last bit of off trail is fairly easy on an off and on use trail.

These are but a few of your options. As noted above there are nooks in crannies out of Lake Sabrina, North Lake and South Lake that make for some easy off trail exploration. For example, for the former area there is the entire chain of lakes: Fishgut Lake etc. that is a hanging valley above the drainage with the main trail. There are easy off trail options you can attach to a trip up to Upper Lamarck Lake (out of North Lake), or the Piute Pass area. There are also mellow off trail options to small pocket basins within the Little Lakes Valley area.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

I think we are very likely to try out Tableland. Going to post a separate question about that.
Thanks!
- Oleander