Seeking that perfect meadow

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Seeking that perfect meadow

Post by East Side Hiker »

These are the best photos, as a collection, I've seen yet. Its amazing, ya'll, how you've captured these color and spirit of these numerous mdws.

Blue camas in any of these mdws:

I'd like to know, if anyone can tell me, how many of these mdws have blue camas (Camassia quamash ssp. quamash) growing in them? I've been tracking this species down in the Sierra for years. Hope Valley has one of the best populations, but they are found at numerous sites on the west side, generally in the High Sierra. They grow to about 10,000'.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

Another one that is in the running, although the wide spot in Rock Creek is better classified as a pond:
Whitney 2007 156.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

It seems to me that the water table elevation is very important for a beautiful mdw. And its very important for fish and plant habitat. The various colors of a mdw, at any time of the year, but especially in the Fall, are controlled by the plant diversity, and the diverse expressions of the plant's senescense as the growing season draws to a close.

Thats why the mdws of the High Sierra within the Parks are so beautiful - they've been protected and left to Nature's management for so long. They are diverse and individually unique.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

I would be remiss to fail to mention the Lyell Fork of the Merced River meadow as seen from Ansel Adams camp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Thanks Doyle

That the shot I mentioned a page back!

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!