Seeking that perfect meadow

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Seeking that perfect meadow

Post by mokelumnekid »

Come to think of it, the long meadow on the east side of Matthes Crest might be a good spot, especially near the southern end. I've been there many times but don't have any good pics. Here is one I found online, from earlier in the year:

balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I agree with BIg Wet Meadow in SEKI, but here are a couple from our recent adventures that also might fill the bill.

The first is below Bear Trap Lake in Long Canyon---above the West Walker River in the new section of the Hoover Wilderness. Thisis shot early this summer, but it gives you an idea of the scenery:

http://picasaweb.google.com/balzaccom/W ... 8822933282" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The second one might be Walker Meadow in the same general area...north of Fremont Lake. This one has more volcanic peaks:

http://picasaweb.google.com/balzaccom/W ... 5489267234" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the last one is Kerrick Canyon just north of Matterhorn Canyon in Yosemite National Park...:

http://picasaweb.google.com/balzaccom/T ... 7502022754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Maverick

Maybe perfect is the wrong word. As sssdave suggested there are many elements, and timing, as you prove time after time, is critical to the great photo op. Anyhow while looking and pondering I thought of one more place I visited about 35 years ago. Lyle fork of the Merced. (somebody mentioned it earlier in this thread but it was a somewhat vague suggestion.) But I remember Ansel Adams photo of the meadow and peaks in the background. I think Doyle posted one in the last couple of years.

Anyhow from my point of view it is all good, er no, "Great."

Oh yes thanks for your provocative questions for the forum!

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I once day hiked Grinnell Lake. It rained at Fish Camp in the morning. At the meadow below the lake it had snowed. I had left my camera at Fish Camp. It was the best view of a meadow I have ever seen. As I arrived at the meadow I was sooo disappointed that I didn't have my camera. I actually considered hiking back down just to get my camera. The problem was that I had been sick that entire solo trip. Boy was I a hard core backpacker in those days. Backpacking sick?
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by BrianF »

Here is one from this last weekend at Upper Golden Trout lake of Mt. Humphreys. I am not anywhere near the photographer that you guys are but Maverick could do this justice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

i would offer this one...

East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

How about Horse Mdw up in the Cherry Creek drainage?
evan
Topix Acquainted

Post by evan »

lost coyote- Is that meadow in or around Ionain Basin? That place looks like a fly fishermens Heaven! PM if you wish not to disclose on the open forum? - Thanks!

gary c- Gorgeous meadow! Where, might I inquire is Lyell Fork? PM if you'd like - Thanks!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

evan wrote: gary c- Gorgeous meadow! Where, might I inquire is Lyell Fork? PM if you'd like - Thanks!
Evan, that picture was taken from the trail between Tuolumne Meadows and Donohue Pass.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

evan wrote:lost coyote- Is that meadow in or around Ionain Basin? That place looks like a fly fishermens Heaven! PM if you wish not to disclose on the open forum? - Thanks!
ya,
see my tehipite/ionian trip report.