Most scenic/interesting approach to mount whitney?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Most scenic/interesting approach to mount whitney?

Post by East Side Hiker »

For me, in my simplistic way for one who tries to make a lot of time for anything, any way to anywhere in the Sierra is wonderful and beautiful. From Shepherps Pass or New Army Pass, or from the west, the way to Mt Whitney is a great route.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I have done the Shepherds Pass to Whitney route and I personally do not think it is that spectacular. The upper part of the pass is nice but the long trek down the PCT is boring - but is fast. If you were to take side-trips to Wright Lakes and Wallace-Wales Lake it would be nice.
I'm getting the impression that you like Wallace, Wales, and Wright Lakes, Daisy, could that be? :p I rarely get so far south or so far in, but I'll obviously have to put these on the agenda if the opportunity presents itself!

Presumably Wallace Lake is named after Alfred Russel Wallace; any idea who Wright and Wales Lakes are named after?
—B²
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

BSquared wrote: Presumably Wallace Lake is named after Alfred Russel Wallace; any idea who Wright and Wales Lakes are named after?
Answered my own question at Sierra Place Names. All three of the lakes are named after Sierra explorers of the turn of the last century. Wallace is William B. Wallace of Visalia, Wright is James William Albert Wright of "The San Joaquin Valley," and Wales is Frederick Henry Wales of Tulare County. They apparently explored the Kern and Whitney area together in 1881. Mt. Wallace is named after Alfred Russel, appropriately since it is in the Evolution region.
—B²
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yup, I like that basin! I have been there at peak wildflowers (unfortunately no camera) and I felt I had to tip-toe so not to disturbe the pristine field of flowers. The photo below was late season (September) just before it dumped snow!

Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

How about this approach to Mt. Whitney.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Wales Lake is on my short list of most beautiful places on the planet.