Most scenic/interesting approach to mount whitney?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
miked
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Most scenic/interesting approach to mount whitney?

Post by miked »

For an experienced backpacker in great shape wanting to do an extended trip that ends at Mount Whitney, which approach would you recommend? Horshoe Meadows to Whitney? Onion Valley to Whitney? High Sierra Trail to Whitney? I guess the preference is for the most interesting scenery above all.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Most scenic/interesting approach to mount whitney?

Post by AlmostThere »

How about the John Muir Trail? Some sections are spectacular. If you can't do the whole thing, maybe start Rae Lakes Loop, and just keep going instead of making the last right down Bubbs Creek. Have a layover day to explore 60 Lakes Basin while you're at Rae. Awesome.

I did Onion to Horseshoe this year - we didn't go to Whitney, but really enjoyed the vistas from all the passes. New Army was our favorite pass, Forester a close second.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

Other than approaching from Portal, I have done it via three different routes - from Onion Valley, from Horseshoe Meadow, and from Horse Corral via Sugarloaf/Cloud Canyon/Colby Pass. Of those three, I would have a hard time deciding my favorite between the Onion Valley approach and the Horse Corral route, both offer spectacular scenery. If you want some solitude, the Horse Corral route sees far fewer people (at least until you get to Junction Meadow).

I have also been on the High Sierra Trail to Nine Lakes Basin, and saw the other end of the HST from Junction Meadow to Whitney on the Horse Corral route. Since I have seen over half of the HST, I can say that it, too, is a prime route.

I know, lots of help with this post, but you just can't go wrong with any of them.
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

I'll second the Onion Valley/ JMT approach suggestion. The views from Kearsarge Pass, and the pinnacles are awesome. The hike up the north side of Forester Pass gets more spectacular the higher up you get. And the scenery to the south from the top of Forester is outrageous. You can see Whitney from there, and all the lakes, peaks and granite below the pass.
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

Maybe this will help. If you want to browse a few photo albums of the trips I have done, here they are. The more recent trips have more pictures, so picture count in the album is not neccessarily indicative of less scenery. But you can get a basic idea of highlights along the route.

First, the route from Horse Corral over Colby Pass. Pictures number 251 and higher are common with the end of the High Sierra Trail.

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa11 ... tney%2006/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Horseshoe Meadow:

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa11 ... ey%202007/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Onion Valley:

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa11 ... ey%202010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this album involves a trip that covers part of the High Sierra Trail from Crescent Meadow to Nine Lakes Basin:

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa11 ... on%20Lake/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

It also depends on how gonzo you want to go. After all, you could do the Mountaineer Route. If you had a lot of time, certainly the High Sierra Trail (with a stopover at the hot springs bath) would be a good way to go, or as suggested the Rae Lakes route through Paradise Valley, or just do the JMT from the north with Whitney at the end. I got to Whitney via the Cottonwood Pass route, as I documented here: http://www.sierra-trails.com/whitney/stcoverv1n7.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

My favorite approach is from Horseshoe Meadows. Go over New Army Pass to Soldier Lake, then cross country up Rock Creek, past Sky Blue Lake (a beautiful spot), over Crabtree Pass, down to Crabtree Lakes, then down to Crabtree Meadow, where you intersect the JMT and the trail to Trail Crest. If I were to choose to walk up to the summit, I would camp at a sandy bench above Guitar Lake -- which puts you virtually at the foot of the switchbacks leading up to Trail Crest.

If you are looking for solitude, Whitney is not for you -- expect dozens of people on the broad summit, unless of course you are planning a trip in the fall or winter. The trail on the east side, from Whitney Portal to the summit, is a highway and I would avoid it at all costs. If you want to (almost) complete a loop trip, better to go back to your camp above Guitar Lake and hike to Wallace Creek, then up the Wallace Creek drainage to Tulainyo Lake, then over Russell-Carrilon Pass and out via the north fork of Lone Pine Creek.

Mike
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

The whole JMT is a great way to do it. I have also done South Lake to Whitney, by way of Knapsack pass, Barret Lakes, Potluck Pass, Cirque pass, and then the JMT the rest of the way. Fabulous trip, with some great X-C walking at the foot of the Palisades and then my favorite stretch of the JMT. Other opportunities for side trips/peak bagging along the way as well.
But it's hard to go wrong. draw circle around Whitney of maybe 20 miles in diameter, and the whole western half of that circle is spectacular country, so any week-long trip that ends at Whitney is going to be great.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Depends how much time you have/want to spend. I like Mike M.'s route, because it is consistently beautiful with no boring patches. The JMT mixes the spectacular with the (relatively) dull.
miked
Topix Acquainted

Post by miked »

Mike M, how is the x-country on the trip out of horsehoe meadows? I don't have any x-country off trail navigation experience so I'm wondering if it'd be appropriate to take my first stab at it up there