Temps with highs in upper 30's?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
XAIPE
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Temps with highs in upper 30's?

Post by XAIPE »

I am doing a North Lake, French Canyon, Seven Gables, Bear Lakes, Royce Lakes, and Puppet Lake 7 day trip starting this weekend. The forecast, however, says highs will be in the upper 30's. Is that correct/normal for this time of year? That seems cold to me. Here is where I am getting it:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know if you guys have any thoughts.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Temps with highs in upper 30's?

Post by AlmostThere »

Given it was that cold when I came over New Army Pass a couple weeks ago, I can believe it.

50% chance of snow tonight up there - yeah, gonna be cold. But it also says it will be warming up again starting Friday.
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Yes. It snowed at Mammoth above 9,000 feet at the end of August. We're expecting more unsettled weather over the next few days. This time of year is always iffy where the weather and temps are concerned. I can never usually be found on the trail after the end of August.
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Welcome to Sept in the High Sierra.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

I am also heading to that area for next week and was just checking the national weather service pinpoint forecast for Vee lake (as forecast out of Hanford office) and it shows daytime temps up to the 50s by sunday. Be prepared for cold temps for sure, the troughs coming through have kept the temps well below normal
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
XAIPE
Topix Novice

Post by XAIPE »

Thanks all! I did some more playing around and it looks like that where I originally clicked must have been taking into account higher elevations or something. I have explored more and found highs also in the 50's where I am going - much better. I was worried it would be pretty cold for fishing! We are prepared for this low, but it would make the trip less fun - keep those 60 degree highs coming!