X-Country Peter Pande Lake to Graveyard Lakes | High Sierra Topix  

X-Country Peter Pande Lake to Graveyard Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Re: X-Country Peter Pande Lake to Graveyard Lakes

Postby windknot » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:29 am

I thought about that route over the top of the saddle, but we ended up crossing over as a day hike so we took the more conventional pass SE of Anne instead. Coming back over however we decided to take the pass just E of Peak 11347. Has anyone gone over this pass? We did see a few stone ducks near the top, although the pass itself is hidden from view until you get right up beneath it and the route to the pass looks to be impassable (pardon the pun) until it appears almost out of thin air right before your eyes. Although all of the fun parts of the hike don't show up within the 40' contours, here's a map showing our wanderings on Sunday:

A few backcountry fishing pictures: http://wanderswithtrout.wordpress.com/

windknot
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: X-Country Peter Pande Lake to Graveyard Lakes

Postby richapple » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Just thought I should update this thread to confess that even with all the great advice, our wonderful 12 day trip into the area had us returning via the same Goodale Pass by which we came (rather than south over the X-Country pass to get back to Graveyard Lakes). We explored the route on a really nice day hike once we'd made it to Peter Pande Lake, but our bottom line is that we aren't comfortable hiking on talus. The advice here was honest, described it all to a tee, but we had to be there and see it to remember that "yeah, we don't like hiking on this kind of stuff". The kind of "stuff" is just like really really big blocks of granite, like giant scree.

This pass seems to be called both Silver Fox Pass and Graveyard Lakes Pass (I think), and anyone researching who finds this should probably have no qualms about hiking it if you are comfortable hiking on talus. I think most the members of this forum would be comfortable with it, and often hike even gnarlier stuff!

We do love getting "out there" and the 12 day trip had 8 days without seeing another human. I've posted a Trip Report at:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5766

Here's a photo of what we decided not to do, and with the camera angled up toward the horizon, it is probably at least a little steeper than it appears here. (now I get why all those ski shots over the years turn intermediate runs into bunny-hills) But really, steepness isn't an issue, and if you like hiking on talus, this is the route for you!

richapple
richapple
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Previous

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping