Trips On My Short List

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Trips On My Short List

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

In case any are interested, here below is a list of trips on my short list. There are still a few places I have not visited yet, and a number of places I have to "finish up with". My list:

1) Merced Fork of the Lyell Canyon (one way or another).
2) Gabbot Pass/Bear Lakes.
3) Mineral King: Franklin Pass/Little Clair Lake loop.
4) Minarets X-C Traverse from Summit Meadow (Roper Route mostly, and perhaps as far as Blue Lake Pass and #1 above)
5) Gardiner Basin Loop.
6) Goddard Creek Canyon and lake 10232
7) Peninsula Lake via Styx Pass (EW)
8) Bear Valley/Lake Rodgers Lake Loop.
9) Pine Creek Pass Area
10) McGee Pass Area

And others + short 4 day out and backs…
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

That's a pretty extensive list Doyle...all those this summer?

Been to about 1/2 on that list, but definitely didn't get to do the amount of exploring I would have liked to. The one that's on the top of my list to revisit is Gardiner Basin. Perhaps this summer from Cedar Grove up Charlotte Creek.

I'm looking forward to a Sierra-Trails edition with any (or better yet all) of these as the feature.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

trailblazer wrote:That's a pretty extensive list Doyle...all those this summer?
NO! I wish! :drool:
trailblazer wrote: The one that's on the top of my list to revisit is Gardiner Basin. Perhaps this summer from Cedar Grove up Charlotte Creek.
Gardiner Basin has been on my list so long it ain't funny. I have looked into that basin from 60 Lake Basin Col (I saw the [stable looking] talus you cross from the upper Gardiner Lake to the col). I have always wanted to do the loop from Charlotte Lake on the old trail. I would want to spend some time exploring the side canyons in the basin.
I have seen the output of Gardiner Creek a few time, and that way does not look good. Going via Paradise Valley would put you in Gardiner Basin in maybe 3 days. I have been up Bubbs Creek too many times, and have seen parts of the very steep use trail going up Charlotte Creek. The easiest way into Gardiner is from Onion Valley => One day to Charlotte Lake, the next day into Gardiner Basin via the old pass.
Trailblazer: you are from Palo Alto, and Kenny (who said he was also interested in this trip) is from San Jose (where I am): perhaps we all could plan something. And anybody else who may be interested.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
copeg

Post by copeg »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote: NO! I wish! :drool:

Gardiner Basin has been on my list so long it ain't funny. I have looked into that basin from 60 Lake Basin Col (I saw the [stable looking] talus you cross from the upper Gardiner Lake to the col). I have always wanted to do the loop from Charlotte Lake on the old trail. I would want to spend some time exploring the side canyons in the basin.
I have seen the output of Gardiner Creek a few time, and that way does not look good. Going via Paradise Valley would put you in Gardiner Basin in maybe 3 days. I have been up Bubbs Creek too many times, and have seen parts of the very steep use trail going up Charlotte Creek. The easiest way into Gardiner is from Onion Valley => One day to Charlotte Lake, the next day into Gardiner Basin via the old pass.
Trailblazer: you are from Palo Alto, and Kenny (who said he was also interested in this trip) is from San Jose (where I am): perhaps we all could plan something. And anybody else who may be interested.
Of course I'd be interested.

I have been over 60 lakes col, around the upper lake in Gardiner, followed with a climb of Mt. Cotter. I've always wanted to loop through the basin starting from the old trail, up through the basin, then over 60 lakes col (or an alternative being ascend above 60 lakes col to a col due south that leads down to Charlotte Creek - this col looked doable with loose screen from the north). The reverse route would work too. Have thought of trying another approach, but they all sound and look pretty hairy and time consuming.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

>I've always wanted to loop through the
>basin starting from the old trail, up
>through the basin, then over 60 lakes col

The way I have always wanted to do. I have heard it is a bit bushy now, but after doing the Murro Blanco, that does not scare me.... :evil:
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

I'm looking for hiking partners

Post by Snow Nymph »

I would be interested in Gardiner Basin, (and any of the trips) if I'm not already booked. I can only do weekend trips, so I can go in with you guys (if its on Saturday) and come out on Sun.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Re: I'm looking for hiking partners

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Snow Nymph wrote:I would be interested in Gardiner Basin, (and any of the trips) if I'm not already booked. I can only do weekend trips, so I can go in with you guys (if its on Saturday) and come out on Sun.
We may have some out n' backs coming up. I don't think Gardiner Basin will be one of those, but others are possible. GB wil be 4+ days I imagine.

SnowNymph, some very nice pictures on your web page. Alwace nice to see a fellow Sling-Light user. Now I want to get to McGee Pass more than ever, tho I could not stop at the pass. :) I would have to explore the yonder basin.

Happy Trails!
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Thanks! Love my Sling-Lite! Been using it since the early 80s.

I'll see what I can do with these trips.

Over McGee Pass is pretty cool! We did a 5 day trip and came out at Duck Pass.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Reading your list, all of which look great, the one that really perked my earz is the Goddard Creek Canyon trip. I SO BAD want to go over Bishop Pass to Dusy Basin and drop into Le Conte Canyon and cut over near Muir Pass to Ionian Basin and down the Enchanted Gorge and back up via Goddard Creek Canyon and then back out either going down Goddard Creek to S.F. San Joaquin to Florence, or back via Muir Pass down to Evolution Basin/Valley and out to Florence. A looOOoong trip, bound to be epic, and a lot of up and down to be carrying loads of photography gear. But it's way up on my list.
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Post by AldeFarte »

Holy Cow Buck! That is epic. I wish I could take time to do a long trip like that. But we make our own bed, so I can't complain. In 1972 me and a friend were at lake 10212 in Goddard Creek canyon and we watched a guy hike down out of Ionian basin . He was big eyed and wild haired and said he would never do that again. We gave him some food {We didn't have much to give} and I remember catching him a mess of beautiful blue backed small trout and showing him how to cook them on a stick. It still seems goofy to be in that country with hardly any food. He said he meditated a lot and didn't need much food. Ever since then I have wondered what that basin looked like. jls