Best strategy to get walk-in permit in Toulumne Meadows

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Best strategy to get walk-in permit in Toulumne Meadows

Post by Satsuma »

We are going to do JMT starting Toulumne Meadows trailhead from Sep, 2nd. We need walk-in wilderness permit for two people.

We can leave Bay area only Sep 1st afternoon, so will be in Yosemetee late night.

Where and what what time should we go to maximize our chances? Is it only one station issuing permits for this trail or we can get it at west station (we are coming by 120).

What are the normal situation in this time of the year?

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Satsuma on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Re: Best strategy to get walk-in permit in Toulumne Meadows

Post by snusmumriken »

There is a permit station at the 120 entrance, but I think it probably closes by 5 pm or so.

Your best bet is to get up early on September 2nd and stand in line at the Tuolomne Permit office.
When I was in Tuolomne Meadows a few weeks ago I joined at the back of the long line at 7.30 am on a Sunday morning. The ranger came outside and gave "the talk" to all of us together which saved some time. It still took about an hour to process everybodies permits.
This is the week leading up to Labor Day so I expect it still to be pretty busy.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Satsuma,

I'm guessing you already called to see if you could get a permit? If not, do so.

If you can, that takes a lot of the pressure off, and if you can't, what's the backup trip plan? Two in your group might not be very happy. They could always do the stand in line again the next day and maybe meet you somewhere along the trail.
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted

Post by Satsuma »

snusmumriken,
Thanks a lot for the usefull information. Will try to be in line at 6am or earlier.

rlown,
Yes, we faxed application for permit few weeks ago and then talked with ranger by phone. We have flexibility of one day to catch it up, skipping planned layover day.

A silly question. If they give us a permit for Sep.3 in the morning of Sep.2 - can we actually start on Sep 2 with that hoping that one day diff is not terribly enforced?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

pretty sure it'll be enforced, heavily. Big weekend up there..

edit: it depends.. some rangers are nice.. some will send your friends back to the trailhead from wherever they made it to that day. could be 2 miles.. could be 4.. Had a couple friends greeted by a ranger who came up late with no pass, and 4 miles later, they were hiking back up out of glen aulin to TM.. 6am sounds good. 5:30am sounds better.
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted

Post by Satsuma »

rlown wrote:6am sounds good. 5:30am sounds better.
Got it, thanks. With heavy experience back in USSR of standing a whole night in various lines we should make it here.

If I understood the ranger correctly they also give some permits at 9 am (those which have been reserved but not claimed until 9 am). So, it gives some more probability.