Bears and rain and packs

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bears and rain and packs

Post by rlown »

Captain Slappy wrote: Hmm...do you think using the packs straps to tie the pack around a tree would suffice or should I plan on bringing some extra rope? This would be assuming that the pack could not be put in a bear box.

Alternatively, if the pack doesn't have anything smelly in it, would it be too risky to keep it in the tent?
Ok.. pack straps mean nothing to a bear. I cant tell you that bringing an empty pack into the tent is a good idea, because if i did, I'd be trounced upon for etiquette.

If your goal is to be Bear safe, put it in a bear box, or empty it and then protect it as best you can. If you are not near a bear box on your Rae Lks loop, then you have to assess the situation and decide.

Um, each situation of backpacking is different, depending on location relative to bears.
cvr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cvr »

When I carry a tent (very early and very late season; bivy otherwise), I always store my pack in the tent. I have never had a problem. As long as your food items are stored elsewhere, I see no reason why you should not store your pack in your tent. It is really no different than having spare clothing or any other gear in the tent with you.

I have spent many nights at Rae Lakes and the surrounding areas (as well as most of the other supposed heavy bear activity areas in the Sierra) with a pack in my tent and have never had an issue.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Rae Lakes loop is pretty active as far as bears go. I did that trip several years back and what we did was ask the ranger where the bears were active and avoided camping in those places. We never saw a bear, but the people that were doing the loop at the same time as we were ingnored the ranger and had major problems. Bears tend to hang out in the same campgounds, so if you avoid those you will be fine. I keep my pack in the vestibule of my Contrial with my pots on top of it. That way I know when the little critters are messing with my bag and can scare them off. IMO it is the little critters (mice, squirls, marrmots...) that are more likely to ruin your trip.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Captain Slappy »

I might try to skip the Paradise campgrounds, then.

Does anyone know about bear activity at the trailhead at Roads End? Can food and smelly things be stashed out of sight in the car while I'm on the trail, or is it like Yosemite Valley where bears will rip into your automobile?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You'll find banks of bear boxes all over and warnings not to leave stuff in the car, just like Yosemite.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Captain Slappy wrote:Can food and smelly things be stashed out of sight in the car while I'm on the trail, or is it like Yosemite Valley where bears will rip into your automobile?
If you like your car, you'll leave nothing smelly in it at all. Doesn't matter where you are. My goal has always been to have the least "smelly" car at the trailhead, so they don't even look at it.