60 Lakes Basin Camping

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ponca
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

60 Lakes Basin Camping

Post by ponca »

Are there restrictions on camping in the 60 lakes basin? I understand distance from water, trail, etc.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 60 Lakes Basin Camping

Post by maverick »

Hi Ponca

Welcome to HST.
Same rules apply as the rest of the park at the same elevations.
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/backpacking.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richapple
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 60 Lakes Basin Camping

Post by richapple »

Ponca,

I'm another newbie to this site (but not to backpacking the Sierras). In case your question is coming from there having been times in the past that 60 Lakes Basin was off limits to overnight camping (all backpacking) like it was in 2003 (that year we hiked by on the JMT and saw the sign), I don't think it is for this year. At the nps.gov/seki site I found this, which makes it sound like for this year is fine for just us two-leggeds:

Special Wilderness Public Use Limits & Closures for 2010 March 3, 2010
60 Lake Basin - Temporary Restriction for Stock Parties - Day Use Only
Stock travel in Sixty Lake Basin is restricted to the established trail to a point approximately 2.0 miles from the junction of the John Muir Trail with the Sixty Lake Trail, and is only permitted as a Day Use activity. This restriction removes stock use from wet meadows, thus protecting important Mountain Yellow-Legged Frog breeding and egg-laying habitat (lakeshores and bog areas) from trampling. A viable alternative is to use the Baxter meadow forage area, located 6-7 miles away and outside the area of concern.

We did a nice trip that had us in there (60 Lakes Basin) for 4 days or so in September, 2006, and we went 3 days without seeing another human. Sweet. Gorgeous area... Some smoke filled in around day 3, but it turned out to be from big fires all the way over in Big Sur on the coast!