finally getting out there!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

finally getting out there!

Post by gochicagobears! »

okay...so i'm a bit behind you guys on days logged due to work and snow in my usual haunts, desolation wilderness.
anyway, just booked three nights/four days from mid september starting in tuolumne meadows to ragged peak, and the nearby lakes. any suggested rte recommendations to get from those lakes to roosevelt? still pretty much a novice with the ol' compass, however. i'm pretty much the most enthusiastic fisherman out of the group, so i may be on my own that day unless i can connive one of my 'mates to follow in search of sierra mermaids...
full TR to follow!

al
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: finally getting out there!

Post by giantbrookie »

The route between Young Lakes and Roosevelt is not difficult but I wouldn't do it unless you are in fact comfortable navigating with a topo (and compass if you are not really really good at reading the topo). The terrain is mild, but the traverse is long enough with enough trees and irregular topography that you can easily get off track if you are not an experienced off trail hiker.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

giantbrookie wrote:The route between Young Lakes and Roosevelt is not difficult but I wouldn't do it unless you are in fact comfortable navigating with a topo (and compass if you are not really really good at reading the topo). The terrain is mild, but the traverse is long enough with enough trees and irregular topography that you can easily get off track if you are not an experienced off trail hiker.
Yeah.. The trees. But if you have a compass and you can get the thing to point North, you're pretty much good for that route, cuz that's basically the direction you go.. Once you crest above the trees, it's pretty obvious, and if you're going downhill very long, you're off course. :)

2 miles to the outlet unless you zig-zag alot. A great place to play/learn your compass/topo skills. look back alot as you go so you can get an idea about where you have to get back to.
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted

Post by gochicagobears! »

thanks, guys!
looking forward to the trip... shut out last weekend in Deso, but did have a fish break my leader at Maud, which a ranger said was nearly devoid of fish thanks to the yellow legged frog. :(
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

When the wife and I went in to climb the west ridge of Conness back in like '92, we did that route (Youngs-Roosevelt) with no problems- tho we stopped at the foot of the west ridge, but it all seemed very obvious to us. Best part of the trip was running into Fred Becky, at about age 70, as he was coming off the climb as we were setting up camp (with a female climbing partner who complained loudly to us that Fred had grabbed her behind the whole way up- he is a well-known "old school" a-hole in that regard that can't keep his hands to himself, tho he is a world-class mountaineer). Can't imagine anyone having problems with the route to R-lake- no compass needed. Just keep Conness in your sights and to the right without dropping too low.