Yosemite Benson Lake Matterhorn Canyon TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
yosehiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite Benson Lake Matterhorn Canyon TR

Post by yosehiker »

Regarding the incorrect National Geographic topo maps: The first revised version of their maps for Yosemite were indeed incorrect. It was something along the lines of them calculating the mileage on the trail after they had ortho-rectified them for the maps, ie not showing every little switchback on the large scale topo. Check the distance of the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne between Pate Valley and Glen Aulin, the longest section of trail in the park without a junction, so the difference will be the largest. It should be something like 14 or 15 miles and the incorrect map shows it as 12 or 11 miles, i forget the numbers exactly. I was able to return mine as I suspected the errors quickly after i got it. The folks at the permit station filled me in with the rest of the info. Not sure if you can get a refund now, as it has been a number of years, but it would be nice to know if you have an incorrect map.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite Benson Lake Matterhorn Canyon TR

Post by TehipiteTom »

Excellent trip report. I was up in that area shortly after y'all, my first time up that way, and it was great.
maverick wrote:Next time you visit go, go up Little Slide Canyon, and down Big Slide Canyon where
you can visit Big Meadow Creek and Doe Lake area which are all really great.
Rock Island Lake is another rarely visited lake which is pretty and offers a lot
of solitude.
Did most but not all of that; I'll try to get a trip report up shortly.