Partner needed: 8/27-9/6 Remote Kings Canyon NP 11day

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Partner needed: 8/27-9/6 Remote Kings Canyon NP 11day

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Me too, would like to hear how last year's 10 day trip went. Last year, of the 5 trips I did into SEKI, two of them were to Avalanche Pass and part of Sphinx Crest on the side with a view of Cloud Canyon. (The 2nd one was to find my backpack that I put down and couldn't find on the first trip !!) I searched for "sphinx crest" in the forums and found 9 hits but none went into any detail about Sphinx Crest. So I wanted to post some reflections. The more I think about it, the more I realize what a special place it is for me, like a "secret place". From Road's End hike to Avalanche Pass on trail. At the top of the pass, ditch the trail and go slightly LEFT into a small depression. Then just begin a long, gradual uphill climb along the west side of the Crest. You always know where you are because the ridge of the crest is always to your left and it's a long way down to Roaring River. Eventually the Whaleback comes into view. Then there are breaks in the pine forest caused by huge rock chutes with evenly spaced granite cubes from 4 to 14 feet wide. They are very stable due to their size. And I mean huge. It's odd to be in a sea of granite with tiny pine trees along the edge way off in the distance. There's a benchmark somewhere on Sphinx Crest in a flat area with absolutely fantastic views to Tableland to the south and huge peaks to the north. I could have stayed there for hours. At one point along the ridge top is a chute where you can carefully drop down to one of the Sphinx lakes above tree line. Brewer and North Guard are obtainable. However, on the Sphinx Lakes side of Sphinx Crest you may run into people enjoying the lakes. On the opposite side of the Crest, facing Cloud Canyon and Deadman Canyon, I can almost guarantee that the interesting terrain and spectacular views will be all yours and yours alone. Oh, and you don't have to muck with the marshes and junk along Sphinx Creek. ~ R
" It's amazing what one can do with enough food and sleep. " --Norman Clyde
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Partner needed: 8/27-9/6 Remote Kings Canyon NP 11day

Post by East Side Hiker »

That is during the last part of my 2011 vacation period. I would entertain doing a trip with you. Your ideas sound fine. The Middle Fk. of the Kern sounds the best, especially because I'm abandoning my desired trip there this May (was to be 10 days).

I'm a totally relaxed and unstressed person, and am completely comfortable. I'm planning to take off from Aug 7 to after Labor Day. I plan to go over Lamark Col first, then will be open.