TR: Duck Pass to Reds Meadow loop with kids

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
withoutatrace
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Duck Pass to Reds Meadow loop with kids

Post by withoutatrace »

Thanks so much for sharing that Tim. Wow, those kids look like they had a blast! I am planning a trip with small children in a few years--I will be returning to the Sierra after 30 years! When I was stationed in California, there wasn't a weekend that passed that would't find me somewhere in the high country. My children have never been, so we are trying to put together 2 trips--one with small kids and then a longer one without kids. So now I'll be able to hike this glorious range with not only my children, but my grands as well. Talk about a gift!! I can't wait! Thanks again for sharing, this really brought a smile to my face!
alpen glow
Topix Newbie

Post by alpen glow »

Lake of the Lone Indian and Peter Pande lake are the best out of all the lakes in the Silver Divide.
However Mott Lake has the best fishing.
nevadasmith
Topix Acquainted

Post by nevadasmith »

I did the loop from duck pass to red's meadow & then the bus ride out of red's about 20
years ago, Nice little trip. I did wander over to purple lake for a day/night, then back
to the trail heading to Red's meadow. Got snowed on just as I passed duck lake, also had the hot springs all to my self.....My has that pool of hot water gotten low, when I was there the water at that same exact pool was easily at neck level when sitting normally in the pool. I still have an old photo of Me in it.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

giantbrookie wrote:Nice trip report and photos. Great trip with the kids. Mine can't quite do a trip like this yet (oldest is 8, younger one 4 and a half)
agree on the 4 year old, but 8 is just fine - meet this young JMT hiker (yes, the ful JMT): she turned 7 at Evolution Lake this July - compared to her my 12-year-old twins were "old pros" on their third JMT