Water carrier?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
huts

Re: Water carrier?

Post by huts »

sorry, don't have the time to mess with all the quote stuff.....
But I want to say that calling something an "urban folktale" really comes across as 1) a general statement that could be applied to almost all back country water and 2) sounds an awful lot like poking fun at those who for whatever reason choose to take a precaution that you might choose not to take.

I wrote:
.......statement in the article that there is a water source about every two miles.....

bcrowell wrote:
There is no such statement in the article. What the article says is this: "In moderate summer weather in the Sierra, on a trail where streams are no more than a few miles apart, .......

Huh???????????

I carry a filter and a water bag, you don't. You don't mind the taste of treated water and I can't tolerate it. So what? The concern I have is that an inexperienced person may generalize and become ill from untreated water and/or run out of water on a long dry stretch of trail because they believe that there is water "no more that a few miles" away.