Rae Lakes Loop (July 2010)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rae Lakes Loop (July 2010)

Post by Cross Country »

Someone who really understands bears, more than once said that the best approach is to take bear repellant - firecrackers. It scares them away every time. They almost never come back either.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

First, fireworks are prohibited in the park, and second, you will wake up most
everyone in the Paradise Valley.
If you want to make that much noise than might as well buy one of those super
loud emergency whistles and get a dual purpose out of it.
http://www.bestglide.com/jetscream_emer ... istle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I thought fireworks were illegal in the park but wasn't sure. Does the whistle effectively scare away bears and if so wouldn't it wake everyone in PV too? I'm not implying what one should use. I'm not really in to telling people what they should do. On the other hand I don't think people should act on their anger. I guess I was thinking about the welfare of the bears and not of the people in PV.
Ratboy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ratboy »

banging a mess kit together, or a regular or locator whistle seems to work fine. The bears I encountered left after they say and heard me...firecrackers, really?

Funny thing, never had a problem with bears...I have heard people nearby freak out, yelling, banging, whistles, bells...I just basically raise my hands, shout "hey bear" (as if they speak english), followed with a loud "whoop" or other noise...seems to work.

About the bear cannister being "stomped open", they test these with grizzlies...like the last time there was a problem, i am leaning toward pilot error and not putting the lid on fully...thus making a true cylinder...but whatever.

I just hope folks dont freak too much and lose it totally...firecrackers...wow.
Dave - Getting it done, one day at at time.
http://www.dnkrhodes.com
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I was told that the park service recommends taking pepper spray as defense against aggressive bears. Is this true?
Ratboy
Topix Regular

Post by Ratboy »

When I checked in for the wilderness pass, the dude (ranger), did not mention anything to ward off bears other than store all and anything with a scent, including first aid kits and hygiene items, in approved bear canisters, use of available bear boxes, and loud noises, i.e., banging mess kit or pots, waving hands and clapping/shouting, and whistles...

Again, never had a problem with bears...so far so good. Pack smart, light, and don't be afraid to smell a bit funky seems to work well...

For more you can check out http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bear_bc.htm
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

To my knowledge pepper spray is now allowed in SEKI or Yosemite NP.
Unless it has changed like the gun carrying laws, maybe OR, GDurkee, or
Skibum, our park rangers on this board can chime in on this issue.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

In our benevolent Sierra, there is no need to carry any spray, gun, hatchet, or anything else deemed a weapon. There are always copious chunks of granite if...
Just seeing a bear in the wild is a rare treat...
Don't sweat it; the black (brown/cinnamon) bear will not harm anybody.
Same question each season and always same answer.
Have to ask: Why?
Ballast?
Mountainman who swims with trout
Ratboy
Topix Regular

Post by Ratboy »

I agree...sense and sensability. Pack smart, light, store everything in the bear approved places...prevention works great when used.

My backpacking pals laugh when we talk about what to do in case of a bear sighting...they wave arms and make noise at first...I grab my camera.

Like I stated before, I have yet to have a problem...thankfully. I work hard to remind folks we are in their habitat - not the other way around. Also, bears are mostly lazy....meaning they really don't like to have to work to get their food, however once they get it, they don't like to let it go. The best thing to do is store everything properly. Just cause we cant smell it, doesn't mean it don't stink...

Saw two different bears on this trip and am grateful for it. The only animal I did not get a photo of was the Northern Pacific Rattlesnake...but I saw the tail and heard the rattle, what a sound it is. Perhaps next time...
bcrowell
Topix Acquainted

Post by bcrowell »

I passed through Rae Lakes July 23, and didn't notice that the mosquitoes were particularly bad.