convict to devils postpile

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

convict to devils postpile

Post by sparky »

I am looking for a route out of the basin above Convict lake. As I will most likely be solo, I am looking for mainly class 2 but a splash of class 3 moves are OK if kept to a minimum. I see a possibility to the SW of Lake Dorothy, but that is the only thing that pops off the page at me. Any info on this is much appreciated.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: convict to devils postpile

Post by maverick »

Hi Sparky

Welcome to HST.
Your looking for Gemini Pass.
Follow the Convict trail to Mildred Lake then head up to Lake Wit-So-Nah-Pah
from where you'll head up towards the saddle south of Red Slate Mtn.
You will have lots of talus, and snow this year.
Once on top head for the small lake at the bottom of the pass, and then following
the creek heading down to Lee Lake.
You will get a view of the north, and south side of this pass at the following link.
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~rlilly/High_ ... ass_N.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~rlilly/High_ ... anyon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is another pass not mentioned above, Corrider Pass, that connects to the upper McGee Creek basin. Generally all those passes have alot of talus and some unpleasant loose metamorphic scree. And this summer steep snow fields.

http://sierrabackpacker.com/sierrapasses-new.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Wow, I cannot thank you enough for those links!! Awesome! They will help planning future trips as well.

As soon as I read the words "Gemini Pass", a bell went off in my head. In fact we hiked up to check it out after talking with some folks who had just come down it about a decade ago. ](*,) sorry nothing to see here, move on....

By the way, great site here.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

There is a very direct class 2 pass (don't know if it's named) that leads from Cloverleaf Lake to Franklin/Ram Lakes. The top 300 feet this pass on the east side is a very steep class 2 chute, but the remainder of this route is easy.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EZHIKER
Topix Novice

Post by EZHIKER »

Ditto. Cloverleaf to Ram/Franklin. Cloverleaf is a favorite of mine. If you have a 4wd to drop you off, I would do the the Laurel/Bloody saddle from laurel canyon.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Oh yeah I forgot about that one, I think it is called "Pretty", if I am correct, and yes
the last couple hundred feet is a little steep, but nothing scary.
It is located southwest of Dorothy, the western side is easy.