Suggestions for 4-Night NorCal Backpacking Trip in early Aug

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
salinas82
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Suggestions for 4-Night NorCal Backpacking Trip in early Aug

Post by salinas82 »

Most of us have a lot of outdoor/backpacking experience and are looking for a 3-4 night trail hike in early August. What we are looking for:

-We are coming from Sacramento and we don't want to drive too far. Anything under 3 hours would be okay. Something in the Tahoe/Eldorado areas would be great. I'm use to hiking in Mammoth and the Minarets but I think that might be a bit too far for some people in our group. I'd still be interested to hear your ideas nonetheless.

-Not too buggy - tough request with the Winter we had!

-the more lakes the better

-isolated, not a lot of other hikers

-Good fishing!

-camp fires

-We would also be fine with hiking in to a nice lake, setting up camp and doing day hikes out of there. Not a necessity though.

THANKS!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Suggestions for 4-Night NorCal Backpacking Trip in early Aug

Post by balzaccom »

If you don't want to drive much, go to Emigrant. The whole Gianelli Cabin to Wire Lakes to Wood Lake loop would work just fine.

yes, you'll see some people. But if you really want an easy drive, you're going to see more people.

A longer drive would take you over Sonora Pass to Leavitt Meadows--and the new section of the Hoover Wilderness. I'll bet there aren't many people at Bear Trap Lake...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rrivera
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rrivera »

I agree with balzacomm...my first thought was Emigrant it's not far and although you'll get some folks hike a bit off trail and you won't see many folks....there are several nice loop/semi-loop options out of Crabtree or Gianelli.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Northern Yosemite Look (40 miles) out of Bridgeport, Twin Lakes.
Matterhorn Canyon is pretty as are the views of the Sawtooth Ridge.
Smedburg, Sister, and Surprise Lake are very pretty.
The whole Seavey Pass area with its small picturesque lakes, and vivid
flower gardens.
Crown, Peeler, and Snow Lakes are worth visiting.
Lots of solitude, but you will have skeetrz.