Current NF/NP weekend backpacking permit system?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Current NF/NP weekend backpacking permit system?

Post by AlmostThere »

Sierra NF is easy to get permits for, generally. They do have a nightbox - I have requested they place permits in the night before and picked it up before the office opened in the morning.

Yosemite NP leaves you waiting on the porch in the middle of the night the day before you want to go, but has backpacker campgrounds for you to stay in that night once you have your walk in permit. (I have gotten there at 5 am and been fourth in line, barely got the permit for happy isles). This is really critical only for a handful of popular trailheads, however. Never been denied a permit at the gate to Hetch Hetchy. Walk in permits are free, too. Sequoia/Kings has a different setup - all permits cost $15, walk in or reserved, and you start picking up permits for the next day at 1 pm. I have never reserved a permit for SEKI - never had to fuss with it. That will probably change when I get set up to do Rae Lakes Loop, however.

Jennie Lakes Wilderness has no permitting system, just a self registration at the trailhead. Los Padres National Forest (north and south) and the various wilderness areas within require no permit but you will either need an Adventure Pass or pay a fee to park at (some) trailheads. Last time i was at Big Sur, parking behind the ranger station was 5/day.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

AlmostThere wrote:Sierra NF is easy to get permits for, generally. They do have a nightbox - I have requested they place permits in the night before and picked it up before the office opened in the morning.
But only if you reserve your permit 3 weeks in advance. At least, that's how it worked last time I went out of Sierra NF (last year).
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

It says on the website 21 days in advance to reserve, but if there are reserveable permits and you mail it in later than that, you'll still get the permits. And I have called the day before the trip and asked for them to leave the permits in the drop box so we can get an early start. There's nothing on the form to check "leave in night drop" so you have to call the day before and request it. (And I just re-clarified this with the ranger station, as I am mailing for permits for 7/24.)

If you're not reserving permits, you'll need to do walk in... and since you're there, no need for the drop box. :)