Greetings and a Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rbaldini
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Greetings and a Question

Post by rbaldini »

Hi all,

I just found this forum about a week ago and I've decided to make myself a member.

I just graduated college and now I'm living in Davis, doing grad school. Though I did a good deal of backpacking as a teen (Eagle scout), I haven't done any in about 5 years. I'm looking to get back into it, and that's why I'm here. Anyway I recently purchased Wilderness Press' Sierra North, with which I'm sure many of you are familiar, and that will probably be my guide for a while.

And my question: How are conditions looking in the North Sierra these days? Snow? Skeeters? Stream crossings? I'm looking mostly into areas around Tahoe and Eldorado Nat Forest. So.. Donner Pass area, Granite Chief, Desolation, Carson Pass area, Mokelumne, etc.

Well that should do for my first post. Adios.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Greetings and a Question

Post by rlown »

Welcome to the HST! Wow! a lot of questions covering a lot of areas.. Where do you really want to go after reading the guide? Pick 3 and pose them as potential areas to go. You'll get pretty precise answers for some.

Also a hint.. Some of your questions might be answered by using the search capability (upper right on every page) on lakes or areas that are on your hit list.

Stream crossings: high, but getting lower; really depends on which stream you are thinking of crossing. Snow: above 9000, depending on area, orientation. Skeeters: headnet, deet, tent..
rbaldini
Topix Novice

Post by rbaldini »

Locations:

Right now I'm thinking of doing a trip to Paradise Lake (Castle Peak area) just off the 80, NW of Lake Tahoe. Besides that, I'd like to do something around Desolation or Mokelumne Wilderness not long after that. But I'll worry about that when it comes...

I suppose I was just asking about northern sierras in general, since it seems like most people are doing areas south of me. But I'll keep looking around the forum. Thanks.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Paradise is a nice hike---snow shouldn't be too much of an issue now, but it will be loaded with skeeters for a few weeks now. You could also look at Carson Pass--some nice hikes there: 4th of July Lake, Showers Lake, Dardanelles Lake, Granite Lake from the east side...lots of good places to go.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963