emigrant wilderness creek crossings

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
anthony
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: emigrant wilderness creek crossings

Post by anthony »

DoyleWDonehoo, were you able to make it to the top of granite dome? If so, what equipment did you need?
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

anthony wrote:DoyleWDonehoo, were you able to make it to the top of granite dome? If so, what equipment did you need?
That was last year, and I did not try for the top of the dome though I do not think I would have had any trouble or need of special equipment: just a snow slog, which it probably is at the moment...perhaps. The PCTers I met recently were using these easy to slip on sorta-crampons they said worked very well, which I wish I had. That would be useful for snow travel (particularly in the morning), along with poles. If there is snow up there, stay away from the edge: That peak had the most killer cornices I have ever seen, more like snow bridges over thousand foot chasms. Look up carefully before you go up (and see the upper left of the picture below...remember to click on the picture for a closer view).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anthony
Topix Newbie

Post by anthony »

Nice pic. Thanks for the info. Sorry, I completely missed that your post was last year not this year.

Was planning on backpacking out from crabtree this weekend, but I hear cherry creek might be hard to cross due to all the snow melt this year. So am considering starting from kennedy instead.