Kid's First Backpacking Trip Advice (7/1/10 to 7/3/10)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bill Gates
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Kid's First Backpacking Trip Advice (7/1/10 to 7/3/10)

Post by Bill Gates »

First of all, thanks in advance. I just discovered these boards, and they are fantastic.

I am hoping to go backpacking with my 12 y.o. son starting a couple of days from now (Thurs, 7/1). I was originally planning to leave from Carr Lake in the Tahoe Natl Forest and hike to Penner Lake, a trip I discovered on one of these boards. I spoke to the Forest Service today and they said that the road to Carr Lake is still snowed under for the last mile, and if we want to hike that trail we'd better bring snowshoes.

I'm looking for a simple trip to give my son a taste of how wonderful backpacking can be. He loves to scamper up rock scrabble, so some minor peaks that we could get up to would be great. The biggest issue is of couse the snow. I'd like to avoid crowds -- that's why we'd by hiking out on Thurs of the holiday weekend and hiking down a couple of days later on Saturday. We're in the Bay Area, so anything off of Routes 80 or 50 would be easiest, but the drive isn't an issue if the trail's right. Would like to avoid Yosemite.

Other info:
Backpacking Experience:
Level 3 -- Numerous trips incl some x-country (me, not my son)

Terrain:
Class 1

Interest:
Lakes (but a campsite near a good stream or river would be just fine), some mountain scenery (after all, it is the Sierras)

Again, thanks so much in advance.
-- Steve Jacobs
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Kid's First Backpacking Trip Advice (7/1/10 to 7/3/10)

Post by oldranger »

Steve,

Welcome aboard! Others will give you advice on that area. But generally at this time of the year snowshoes are not needed. Early in the day the snow is firm (usually) and in many places there are suncups that render snowshoes useless. Finally if it is only a mile of the road you can't use as of the day of the report go for your planned trip-- worst case you walk an extra two miles.

Have fun!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I agree with Mike that snowshoes won't be helpful or necessary. As for your original planned destination (Penner, a very nice choice), you might check if some of the other approaches, such as the Lower Lindsay Lake road or the Grouse Ridge lookout road are open. Things are thawing fast, so make the last second call this afternoon.

A sure shot right now is Buck Island Lake, Rockbound Lake etc. out of Loon Lake (Ice House Rd off of 50). The Lakes Basin (north of Hwy 49 and the N Fork Yuba River) area is probably open now. This includes the Jamison Creek drainage out of Plumas Eureka State Park. I might put that one as first choice if I was in the Bay Area and itching to get out. The hike is short (you can choose various destinations from about 2 to 4 miles), nice lakes (Grass, Jamison, Rock, Wades), good fishing and pleasant scenery. Don't miss the burgers at Bassetts Station for your after-hike munchie attack.

Some of the lower lakes in Ansel Adams Wilderness, S. of Yosemite (Clover Meadow area access off of Hwy 41) are likely open now: these are the lakes around and including Lillian Lake. Lakes in southernmost Kings Canyon NP are now open (see Ranger Lakes report in the Fishing forum), as will be the two lakes in Jennie Lakes wilderness in the same general vicinity (access up Hwy 180).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Kibbie Lakes out of Groveland in Yosemite is a wonderful destination for kids. The lake is great to swim in and there are nice benches for flat camping....only a 4 mile hike in. I took my granddaughter there when she was about 7-8 and she loved it!
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bill Gates
Topix Newbie

Post by Bill Gates »

Thank you for your wonderful advice.

I was able to get a permit to hike out of Loon Lake and camp at Rockbound Lake. The Desolation Wilderness folks assured me that snow shouldn't be an issue. We'll be getting a bit of a late start, but should be able to get to Rockbound before dark.

Again, thank you all. Will post the follow-up.

-- Steve