Trip Report: Rush Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Report: Rush Creek

Post by giantbrookie »

Wow it's nice to see those photos of an "early season' trip up that way--I'd guess that's more snow than one might see there right now in early June. My only trips in that region have been much later in the year and following dry winters. Did you ever get back to Lost and Alger Lakes to visit them when they're thawed?
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

June 2010 was almost 200% snowpack. I suspect that snow right now would be even less than end of June 2010, but likely mosquitoes. I would definitely like to get back to Lost Lakes when thawed; they are supposed to have fish. I would also like to fish Alger Lakes. Speaking of mosquitoes, one year I did an overnight (from Tioga Road) taking the trail and climbed the ridge west of the upper lake (Helen?) to Kuna Crest early-July at the peak of mosquitoes. Once on top it was breezy and no mosquitoes! I carried water up and camped on top. Then ran the ridge north back down off-trail, still had some snow patches and I ran into big cat tracks in the snow. Unfortunately I did not take a camera that trip, so no photos.
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:17 pm June 2010 was almost 200% snowpack. I suspect that snow right now would be even less than end of June 2010, but likely mosquitoes. I would definitely like to get back to Lost Lakes when thawed; they are supposed to have fish. I would also like to fish Alger Lakes. Speaking of mosquitoes, one year I did an overnight (from Tioga Road) taking the trail and climbed the ridge west of the upper lake (Helen?) to Kuna Crest early-July at the peak of mosquitoes. Once on top it was breezy and no mosquitoes! I carried water up and camped on top. Then ran the ridge north back down off-trail, still had some snow patches and I ran into big cat tracks in the snow. Unfortunately I did not take a camera that trip, so no photos.
If you ever want to go back to Lost and the Algers and revisit the Kuna Crest area on the same trip, the off trail route over Kuna Crest then sidehilling before going to Lost Lakes is pretty nice. For more on that, as well as fishing notes on the Alger (lower one) and the Lost Lakes, see my 2014 TR: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11528

Dana Meadows to Lost Lakes on the day 1 of that 2014 trip remains my very favorite opening day of any backpack trip I've done.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cdevine
Topix Acquainted

Post by cdevine »

Thank you! 2010 mammoth reporter 557 inches of snow at main lodge. This year they reported 281 inches. I don’t think there will be much issues in the high country after late June this year.
It was a mild winter and this recent heat has the melt accelerating. Great pics! Brave soul.