Help / Suggestions for 1st Multi Day Hike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Smnold
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Help / Suggestions for 1st Multi Day Hike

Post by Smnold »

Hello,

My son (17) & I really want to do a multi day 3-4 day hike this summer. I'm looking for suggestions on trails or any other general tips or help anyone could offer. We're thinking about hiking part of the PRT, JMT, or a combination of the two. I'm a little worried after starting some research that we may have a hard time getting permits since we are not planning this too far in advance. I'm hoping we can pull this off as it will be a very memorable for a father son.

We've looked at red's meadow to Tuolumne & also like the look of 1000 island lake (who doesn't). We're thiking it might be better to map a loop hike as we're not to sure about hitch hiking.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Smnold
Topix Novice

Re: Help / Suggestions for 1st Multi Day Hike

Post by Smnold »

Found this post. How do you think the trails would be like in Mid to Late July?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

You don't mention what dates you are considering...but this is a big snow year. Trips that would have been perfect last year in July should probably be delayed until August this year.

What kind of trip do you want? Peak bagging? FIshing? Scenery or forest...if you tell us your ideal trip, it will be easier for us to suggest something that will work

And there's a big list of trips on our website if you want to check those out.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Smnold
Topix Novice

Post by Smnold »

I'm looking at late July / early august. Will it be crowded?
Looking for scenery, forest, & photography.
With the shuttle I'm not planning to start & stop at the same trail head. Waiting for "mytopo" map to settle on the final route. For the permit do I only tell them were I start?

I have & will continue to learn as I read more posts on this site. Especially how to avoid & deal with the skeeterz! I'm really starting to get excited about this trip now.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Yikes...there are so many places to start. Late July/early August will be about the peak of the mosquito season this year, I think. That simply means wearing long sleeves and pants, some kind of head protection, and carrying lots of repellent. Unfortunately almost all of the Sierra offers scenery, forests, and photography opportunities, so that doesn't help to narrow it down to a specific area or areas too much. Are you both strong hikers? Would you like to take a more leisurely pace? Do you want to camp at lakes each night? Do you want to stick to trails? How much do you value solitude? With each answer to questions like these, we can better help you focus on an area which will best suit your needs/wants. For example, you can devise a 3-4 day loop trip in the Desolation Wilderness which will stay on trail, have moderate distances to travel each day, give you camps at lakes each night, probably be moderately crowded, and have good (but not spectacular) scenery. Or you can spend four days in Kings Canyon National Park, stay off-trail virtually the entire time, never see another soul after leaving the trailhead, and surmount several difficult cross-country passes. There are simply too many options for backpacking trips in the Sierra for anyone to just throw out one particular trip and advise you to do it, so it helps to have more background on what you're capable of doing and what you want to see/experience.

Hope to hear more from you, and welcome to the board!

Matt
Smnold
Topix Novice

Post by Smnold »

Thanks for the feedback & welcome.

The dates we're settled on are July 15th-18th. So earlier than originally stated. I realize this is a short time spam but on the bright side I'll be back posting pic's in 3 weeks :D . I'm assuming mosquitos will still be an issue. We'll do our best to deal with that but because I have no clue, how bad are they during peek? I'll bring 100% deet, treat clothing w/permethrin, & have head/face nets on hand. Has anyone ever tried to burn citronella while eating or chilling in the late afternoon?

My son is a very strong hiker & I'm better than average & solid. We don't need a leisurely pace. We don't need to stick to 100% trails & are very willing to venture off the beaten path :thumbsup: . That said, I'd prefer not to trek through 3' of snow for miles :p . Solitude would be awesome & preferred but don't mind a few other hikers. I hate the Yosemite Valley camping feel but hiking should never be compared to that :thumbsdown: . I would like to see spectacular scenery if possible. I'm guessing/hoping we'll revisit the area a few times.

*** Looking on a map today & see a trail from Ediza Lake though Iceberg to Cecile Lake. Then another trail picks up at Minaret Lake. How tough is it to trail blaze from Cecile to Minaret? ***

We want a nice loop that doesn't have us on the same trail much. We're ready and willing to go off trails to make this possible. We don't need to sleep/camp near a Lake every night. We do want to stay in this general area with starting our hike at Agnew Meadows and ending in Devils Postpile or reverse. I'd say we want to keep our daily mileage around 10 miles or less.

Any suggestions on where to camp to lesson our loss of blood (NO SKEETRZ :snipe: ) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the help and patients with a beginner poster :paranoid:

PS How cold will it be a night. Do we need zero degree bags?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

No Skeeters? Try after sept. 15! To minimize effects read sssdave's recent post under skeeter updates.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!