Mid-July JMT Forecast

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MayLake
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Mid-July JMT Forecast

Post by MayLake »

I'm scheduled to start the JMT at Happy Isles July 14th, getting to Whitney Portal Aug 6th. Anyone have guesses as to how much snow I'm going to be encountering? I'm a little concerned that there are still 3-4 feet around Sunrise...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mid-July JMT Forecast

Post by maverick »

Hi MayLake

Welcome to HST.
I really do not think Sunrise should be your major concern, but further down
south in SEKI.
Passes like Glen, Forester, Mather, and stream crossings will be more of an issue
than Sunrise.
Sunrise will be all right by mid July, though skeetrz will be pretty bad!
MayLake
Topix Novice

Post by MayLake »

Huh, I figured those high passes might be ok since they're above the tree line and I won't be getting there till the last couple days of July (at the earliest). Guess I should be thinking otherwise? Am I going to be needing crampons or an ice axe?

Water crossings will definitely suck...

Thanks for the welcome!
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

You will have no problem in late July. No need for crampons or ice axe. Expect lots of skeeters in the early part of your trip especially. Keep in mind that the southern Sierras catch far less snow than the northern Sierras. You can expect a little snow on Forester, but many, many hikers will have already been through, so the trail will be compacted and the route can easily be followed. Another upside is that there will be plentiful material for a lemonade slushy on many of the passes!

Mike
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

No ice axe or crampon needed, but since you asked the question about Sunrise, I
was just voicing my concern on whether you were adequately prepared for the
conditions you may encounter along the trail.
Have a safe, and fun trip!
Here is an update from a pct hiker as of today.
http://www.pcta.org/planning/during_tri ... asp?sect=H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by maverick on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MayLake
Topix Novice

Post by MayLake »

Thanks, maverick, that's a really helpful resource. Hopefully some of that snow will melt off by the time I'm in the area. I just mentioned Sunrise because I'm more familiar with typical Yosemite conditions, so I've been using it as a benchmark. I'm an east coaster with a decent amount of winter camping experience - just didn't expect to be making much use of it on the JMT!

I *love* the lemonade slushy idea, Mike!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Resources to keep your eye on: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3791&p=22336#p22336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also reccommend (if you haven't already) using the search feature of this site. Lots of great information already posted on most Sierra Nevada locations.

Welcome to HST!
Be sure to post a trip report upon your return. :)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
MayLake
Topix Novice

Post by MayLake »

Thanks all! Oh, and sorry for not properly introducing myself.... I missed the "rules for requesting trip advice thread," I guess. In case it's any further help:

Backpacking experience: 2.5 (tons of hiking, numerous backpacking trips, a couple x-country jaunts)
Terrain comfort: 1.5 (I've dealt with x-country, deep water crossings, and steep snow... but I prefer not to)
Main interests: lakes, big mountains