SHORTEST WAY TO KERN HOT SPRING | High Sierra Topix  

SHORTEST WAY TO KERN HOT SPRING

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Re: SHORTEST WAY TO KERN HOT SPRING

Postby merlynnmann » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:35 am

I did another kern river hot springs in june 2012.This time i left the springs going north on the high sierra trail 4 miles(1hour 40 min.) and just before Whitney Creek(1/3 mile) turned right and exited kern valley up "willows route".Look for huge tree at entrance of the willow chute(about 2/3 of a mile from trail) It is a manzanita bushwhack to get to the tree. My hiking partner who hated the funston lake route hated this as well.It saved many miles but not energy, but i would do it again. merlynnmann@yahoo.com

merlynnmann
Topix Novice

Experience: N/A

Re: SHORTEST WAY TO KERN HOT SPRING

Postby cgundersen » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:51 am

Sounds like you guys are serious gluttons for punishment. But, I guess soaking in the comfort of the hot springs fuels some wild climbs. Got any photos to share?
cg
cgundersen
Topix Expert

Postby Hobbes » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:40 pm

I consider KHS as shorthand to identify the general region (+-5 miles) that might be described as "here be dragons" with regard to a certain species of fish.

I've studied various routes from the 3 main eastside THs (Cottonwood, Portal & Symmes), and from what I can determine, the only way to reduce a minimum of 30 miles (one-way!) is to head over the canyon wall past Funston. Since that route still looks to be around 18+ miles + some major league bushwhacking + some crazy ass exposure, I've given up finding any kind of short-cut.

It is what it is, so if you want to get there, you gotta train for some big mileage. My fantasy plan is to head straight to the Kern via Trail Pass, follow the river norte, fish & hang @ "the spot" (revealed to me by an old-timer who no longer fishes, but has spent a lot of time in the area), then head out either via Wallace/Whitney (HST) or go up to Milestone & out @ Shepherd. Either way, it's 60+ miles to fish a stretch of river that is 'just right'. LOL
Hobbes
Topix Expert

Postby Hobbes » Wed May 07, 2014 11:25 am

The fishing zone around KHS is still on my bucket list. I keep playing with the numbers, but there doesn't seem to be any way around hiking 30 miles in and 30 miles out. That is, unless you enjoy bushwhacking through manzanita and navigating down/up cliffs.

The fastest route I've come up with is going over Trail pass from Horseshoe to the bridge crossing, then follow the Kern river trail up to the HST junction. From there, it's either turn around and go back, or follow the HST to the PCT, and head back via Crabtree, Miter & NAP.

This would have to be a late season hike to not only let the water level drop, but to also be in best possible condition. If you could avg 15-20 miles/day, you could do the loop in 5 days. All that effort just to fish some of the most exclusive spots in Calif.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kern_River_rainbow_trout
Hobbes
Topix Expert

Previous

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping