Kennedy Meadows?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
homeranch
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Kennedy Meadows?

Post by homeranch »

Your site worked this time, fun pictures.

Is there water at Jerkey Meadows? That might make a better first night camp for me rather than the trailhead if there is water.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Jerkey Meadow - do not camp in the meadow - but plenty of flat camping spots around the meadow. The meadow was wet enough that we skirted around it to keep our boots dry. Small feeder trickles are coming in as well as various spots along the way to the Little Kern. Water should not be a problem. Only 2 miles to Jerkey Meadow and another 3 down to the LK Horse Bridge. If we had an extra day or two - a nice trip would be to push for Kern Lake and Little Kern Lake. A good day's push with backpacks would get you close to the LK Lake. Follow with 1.5 days to fish and camp at these lakes then start out - camp at Grasshopper Lake and hike out the following day. So much backcountry - so little time.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
homeranch
Topix Acquainted

Post by homeranch »

Thanks Tom, I seldom camp in meadows, for all the usual reasons, but I need graze and water for my horse and mule.

I am going to go on in to Kern Lake, and the Kern Ranger Station, Grandfather's camp was where Coyote Creek joins the Kern River, so that is my destination.

I emailed Rinda at the Golden Trout Pack Station, the Lewis Camp Road is open now.