SPOT - PLB Responsibility Checklist

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: SPOT - PLB Responsibility Checklist

Post by Rockyroad »

Shawn wrote:
If in the course of our hiking we run across ANOTHER PARTY that is having an emergency, we engage BOTH the "Help" button (first) and then the SOS button (second).
That's a good idea.
The first trip I took with the SPOT, I was so worried of scaring my wife if I encountered a situation where I would need to engage SOS for another party. After that trip, I set my custom message to say the SOS is for someone else. I like the idea of the combo buttons too.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by cloudlesssky »

oleander wrote:I tell them that sudden loss of tracking information, and/or sudden lack of the daily "I'm okay" message, does not itself imply an emergency and they are not to contact SAR (unless we have indeed sent an SOS). The more likely explanation is a battery problem, loss or damage of the device, or loss of signal owing to terrain. Anyway, our contact is instructed to wait a full 72 HOURS before contacting SAR in such a case. We figure if we lose use of our device in the field, we have 3 days to walk out and call in that we're okay.
Batteries, damage, loss of signal are my big worries with my Spot. And you don't really know if any message is ever received by the satellite. So my instructions are:

"If you lose the Spot signal please assume my Spot has broken or the batteries have died. Neither condition is cause for concern. I will continue on my original itinerary so consult that for routes, dates and planned exits."
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

That was one of the deciding factors that prompted me to buy a PLB instead of a SPOT. There were other factors, but I didn't want to freak out my wife needlessly if an O.K. signal didn't make it. She relies on my instructions regarding when she should consider me overdue and call for help and not become reliant on o.k. messages.

Life is full of compromises and nothing is foolproof . We each weigh what is important and balance the pros and cons to something we can live with.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SPOT - PLB Responsibility Checklist

Post by AlmostThere »

Had a ridiculous panic when a friend texted me from an InReach. I texted back, and then her response that she found the missing person took five hours to get to me. Stupid tech.

I have a PLB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk