Advice for east side backpacking June 11-15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice for east side backpacking June 11-15

Post by Mike M. »

To the original poster: if you are fit and strong and reasonably comfortable plodding through snow, I wouldn't be deterred by the late snow pack. June 11 is early for the high country in even a normal snow year; expect more snow this year and just enjoy it.

Condition reports are hard to come by. The Inyo National Forest site posted this report last week (May 25th):
BACKCOUNTRY: Backpackers should be prepared with mountaineering gear for snowy/icy terrain, cold temperatures and sudden weather changes. Snow conditions make trails difficult to locate and passes very slick. Mountaineering and navigation skills are required. The snow level on the Whitney trail is approximately 10,000 feet (lower on north facing slopes). In Yosemite National Park, the current snow level is approximately 6,500 feet.
A hiker was up on Kearsarge Pass two weeks ago and posted these photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/cunelson/Ke ... assDayhike#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had read that the road to the Onion Valley trailhead was closed, but this hiker's report clearly shows it is open -- cars are shown in the parking lot and one hiker slept overnight there.

Hey, if I were you, I'd give South Lake and Bishop Pass a try. If you find the conditions are just too difficult, there are plenty of other options at lower elevations to keep you entertained.

Have a blast!

Mike
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Advice for east side backpacking June 11-15

Post by quentinc »

Thanks for the link to those pictures Mike. The slope down to Big Pothole looks just a tiny bit unnerving.

But now I see that their trip was on May 14, so now it will be 3 weeks of less slope to go sliding down on into oblivion. :)