Whitney, weather: best guess

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Whitney, weather: best guess

Post by frediver »

I don't know if this should be in the Winter section or not, the weather has sure changed this year.
We have Whitney permits for July 4th and I'm really starting to wonder about the
trail and snow conditions for our trip, whats your best guess????
Normally I would expect the trail to be clear and dry by July but this year I have no clue.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Whitney, weather: best guess

Post by Mike M. »

My best guess is that there will be a lot of snow on the switchbacks leading up to Trail Crest. But it is a heavily used route, so by July 4th tracks of those who preceded you should be easy to find and follow all the way to Trail Crest. My guess is that the trail up to Consultation Lake will be mostly snow-free by July 4th; you are likely to see snow at Consultation Lake, but there should be patches of dry ground that will serve as good campsites.

Check with the ranger station for conditions prior to leaving on your trip!

Mike