Back to School time?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Back to School time?

Post by TahoeJeff »

I am doing some trip planning for the Fall, specifically the week right after Labor day. What time do the kids go back to School in your area? How busy do you all think the John Muir Wilderness (French Canyon area) will be that week; Sept. 6-10? Thanks in advance for any input!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Back to School time?

Post by riverwalker »

You should be good. I am a high school teacher here in Bakersfield and we start up on August 23. I believe other schools (LA area) start a week later. I think it is safe to say that most will back in school by the day after Labor Day.

Have fun on your trip! I will be jealous...having to go back to work and all that week;)
Tom
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Back to School time?

Post by Tom »

Most of my trips are planned from mid-September on and I see no one or people like me who enjoy the lack of "tourists".

Most of my trips don't include much of the Muir Trail, but they cross the trail or utilize parts of it.

The one time in the last 20 years that I used the Muir Trail for any length was as an escape route after 5 days of snow.

It is a wonderful time to be in the backcountry...especially if you fish. Have fun.