Lakes South of Amelia Earhart Peak, Yosemite ????

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
adam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Lakes South of Amelia Earhart Peak, Yosemite ????

Post by adam »

Has anyone here ever been to these lakes:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.77384,-11 ... Range%20CA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are they nice, from a camping/scenery perspective? (I'm not interested in fishing)

If the link doesn't work, the lakes I'm talking about are on a flat bench directly south of Amelia Earhart peak, SE of a pass heading to Ireland lake, and NW of Mts. Lyell and Maclure, at about 11,280 ft. They look attractive on the map, but I remember Maclure lake, the only place around there I've been, being surrounded by huge boulders-- it wouldnt be much fun if these lakes are too.

I've never been there, but am thinking-- well, daydreaming, really, as it wouldn't happen for months-- of a trip later this summer meandering up the non-JMT side of Lyell canyon, crossing over and following Maclure creek to these lakes, then continuing west to Ireland lake and the tundra around there and Evelyn, maybe wandering back via Elisabeth lake.

thanks for any info...
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Lakes South of Amelia Earhart Peak, Yosemite ????

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yes I have been to these lakes. They are rather bleak - I traversed in from the south, where the scenery is really better. The view of Lylle Canyon from the lakes is good, but I was not overly impressed with the lakes. You can go over the pass to the northwest to Irlend Lake, which is very exposed and windy. Ireland Lake is big and impressive, as a lake, but the surrounding scenery is moderately scenic.
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

Thanks!

Was the traverse itself enjoyable?

Years ago I came up the non-trail side of lyell canyon, then up maclure creek to maclure lake, then back on the JMT. I did it as a long day hike and remember the non-trail valley hiking to be surprisngly easy and pleasant with a use semi-trail most of the way (and even a big packer camp at one point), the lake downstream from maclure lake to be in a nice but (at that point of the season) boggy meadow, and maclure lake itself to be austere and rockbound. I also remember that my feet were pretty sore by the time I got back to T. meadows!

I'm thinking of planning some sort of "creative" repeat visit if possible this summer, and the notch between the maclure/ireland lake drainages seems inviting.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The route is quite reasonable, but McClure Lake is the more spectacular lake. The route down to Ireland Lake is tricky - be sure to avoid the small cliffs. From Ireland Lake I continued off-trail (a bee-line) to Vogulsang camp. This was really nice too. You do have to go back up over a saddle but it is really nice and pristine back there.