What maps do you carry?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Sloop
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: What maps do you carry?

Post by Sloop »

Hey everyone,

while we're having map-talk, can anyone tell me where on the USGS 7.5 map it says the UTM grid? I have no problems with the easting and northing, but i can't seem to find where it says you're in, for example, 16T.

Thanks!
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: What maps do you carry?

Post by Sierra Maclure »

For my REI trips, I make my maps from Terrain Navigator Pro. My husband got it for me for Xmas a few years ago. He's in Contra Costa SAR and that's what the local SAR guys use. I convert the TNP maps to Nitro PDFs and play with the labels and markers and print them out on tabloid size paper for each client. They're a great teaching tool and souvenir. I also use TH maps. Tom uses a wheel to track the mileage so it's pretty accurate. I have a stack of 7.5 min. USGS maps with ragged edges and taped folds that hold many memories. If I have the correct one, I'll take it on my personal trips along with a TH. I love maps and it makes me a bit nervous that I don't have one for my life. I guess I'll just have to draw it as I go, creating a new trail here, and a forested refuge there, and a junction where our trails meet to hang out with friends. :nod: