Yosemite backpacking advice for this summer/fall?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite backpacking advice for this summer/fall?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did the "overland" route and it is really pretty and you will not likely see people. It is a major backtrack to the trail. If you do this off-trail route, I suggest you bring the 7.5-minute USGS topo for this section. Ireland Lake is quite exposed - can be very windy. You may prefer to camp in timber about a mile short of Ireland Lake and walk to the lake to fish. Yes, the trail up Lyell is easy - you will be able to make good time. I actually left the road at 4PM one year and got to the end of the canyon before dark (car broke down in Sonora, spent night in county park, did not get fixed until late next day). The major elevation gain is on the switchbacks up to Ireland Lake.

Others may disagree with me, but I do not get too hung up on permit issues. Once on the trail I seldom follow my written route exactly. Particularly if you are off-trail you will not likely see a ranger. I always locate my camp about half a mile or more off trails. This really reduces bear problems.
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

Once at the wilderness office they asked where I was going to camp and I didn't know, as I didn't know how far in I would get or what it would be like. They said that they just use that information in case of search and rescue as a place to start looking for you-- but going in at the allowed trailhead is the part they really care about.
Vidalia
Topix Novice

Post by Vidalia »

Since we will be driving in from Fresno and leaving a car in Yosemite Valley and catching the YARTS bus to Tuolumne Meadows, where are you required to park? (or where is the best place to park?)

Also, with the airline restrictions concerning fuel, etc, we will need to stop on the way to buy fuel canisters. Anyone know a good place to a couple of Jet Boil canisters and some basic food items along the drive to YV?

Thanks for all the previous help. I have always appreciated forums such as this one and without the generous assistance of the board members things would be much more challenging for us "out of towners"!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Vidalia,
Sounds like your Yosemite plans are coming together nicely.
A few observations...
1) Why Fresno, or is this already a done deal? Having made to drive into YNP from all routes, the Sacramento connection ...the 5 to 99 to the 120 puts you in Yosemite Valley in 3 1/2 hours...cheaper flights and rental cars too. Also consider/ recommend the longer but spectacular drive from Reno - tres' scenic too, prefer over the Fresno, 3-hour, twisting road option.
2) There is a designated "Hiker parking lot"...long term, Valley parking between Curry and Happy Isles, but this lot is always full and not as easy (read free shuttle bus friendly) as just parking the car in the large "orchard lot" at Curry...(just in front of the tent cabins). Both lots are free and both are hiker legal. (FYI, the Powers that Be recommend putting a dated "Back in 1 week" note in your car window...I never do this as I think it invites trouble, but HYOH.)
In Yosemite Valley, everything is accessed via the free shuttle bus...makes a big, convoluted, "figure 8" route with Curry in the middle...comes every 10 minutes. Just park close to any bus stop (Which is why I use Curry lot) and forget the car; let it get dusty.
3) Yosemite has a large general store in the Village (just like a Safeway...meat, milk, and produce.) Here you can purchase almost anything...can easily restock a bear can but be advised that their dried drink selection (Crystal Lite, Kool Aid, Wylers, etc) often gets depleted. There are small stores at the Lodge and at Curry too as well as 4 or 5 other places to purchase anything camping - fuel related...(all current canisters, just like REI). There are Mountain Shops, both at Curry and in Tuolumne...Freeze dried food, headlamps, fleece, and all things climbing...all a little bit overpriced but in Yosemite Valley, anything backpacking is available. Tuolumne store, if open, caters a bit more to backpackers...you should have no worries about easily buying Jet Boil canisters in the park. BTW, hamburger stands abound, Degnon's Deli is great for lunch, and liquor is sold everywhere.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Fresno has an REI on the way to Yosemite (CA-41, Friant exit). Herb Bauer Sporting Goods, just south of REI on Blackstone, is also pretty good and not at all out of the way.

Yosemite Village is about 1.5hr drive from that part of Fresno.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Wow, what a terrific thread! Having talked myself out of the only backpacking opportunity I had for this summer :\ , I've been looking at maps and homing in on the southern Yosemite country for next year, and this been a huge help. Great reading, folks; thanks again!
—B²
Vidalia
Topix Novice

Post by Vidalia »

markskor wrote:Why Fresno, or is this already a done deal? Having made to drive into YNP from all routes, the Sacramento connection ...the 5 to 99 to the 120 puts you in Yosemite Valley in 3 1/2 hours...cheaper flights and rental cars too. Also consider/ recommend the longer but spectacular drive from Reno - tres' scenic too, prefer over the Fresno, 3-hour, twisting road option.
I already have tickets from Fresno from Atlanta @ $325 each and a vehicle for the trip at about $21 a day. I hate to let a car sit while on the trail but the flexability and dependability is a bonus.

I looked at Google and Bing maps and they both show the drive as about 98 miles and just under 2 hours. Hope they are correct. We also wanted to check out the Mariposa Groe which we drive right by.

Thanks for the other sugestions. Now we're all working on the physical conditioning and going through gear checklists which is always fun. We're shooting for a "skin-out" weight of around 35 pounds so we have some work to still do. I'm at about 40 pounds right now but I have a few more changes to make.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Out of Fresno Yosemite Airport, go South on E. Clinton, which turns into Peach, follow Peach to CA-180 West, then take CA-41 North. It's under 2 hrs from the airport, less your potential stop for supplies at REI, etc. Driven it many times.

Enjoy your trip. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Vidalia
Topix Novice

Post by Vidalia »

First, I wanted to thank everyone that took the time to post on this thread. Your advice, suggestions and answers have been invaluable to me in planning this trip. I am only a few weeks from heading out and I had one more (although probably not the last!) question.

Since we are planning on climbing Half Dome at the end of our traverse from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley I understand the need (or desire) for leather gloves to handle the cables. I have read varying reports of there being gloves left behind at the bottom for others to use and that these shouldn't be counted on as most will be worn out in the palm area.

Any suggestions or advice on this?

Thanks,
Vidalia
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Best Map/Guide for Southern Yosemite?

Post by BSquared »

Slightly off-topic: what do people recommend as the best maps and/or guidebooks for southern Yosemite (the area touched on in this thread, hopefully southeast as far as Blue Lake)? I'm guessing the Tom Harrison Yosemite National Park Map for a map, but are there any good guidebooks for this area? My criteria for good guidebooks include mileages and altitudes along trails (so I can easily estimate my hiking time) and suggestions of good (and bad) camping spots: something like the Winnett/Morey JMT guide.
—B²