Yosemite backpacking advice for this summer/fall?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Vidalia
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite backpacking advice for this summer/fall?

Post by Vidalia »

First, thanks to everyone that provided such great ideas and information! Because of that I think I am finally getting the "feel" of what to expect and how I will be approaching the hike. Although I have been backpacking all my life, Yosemite is a different beast than most places. Everyone's insight has helped a lot.

I noticed the High Sierra Camps are tentatively scheduled to close by Sept 6 so they will not be open when we hike. Are the privies still usable after they close? What about the bear boxes? We will be taking bear containers of course but I was wondering if anything was left after the camps closed?

Looks like the Half Dome permits can be picked up with the hiking permits so I will do that when we arrive.

Looking at the average temps and rainfall I'm thinking wind protection and warmth are the two main issues to deal with in mid-September. My rain shell is very light and is a good outer layer but I'm thinking this may be one of the few places cotton may be nice to have!

I noticed Tuolumne is still getting snow (14" last week!) and they are at about 120% of "normal" snow pack. Good thing for us hiking in the usually dry period of September.

Thanks for the head-up on making sure you have the corect permits, etc. I've been checked at various parks and always try to do the right thing. Sometimes it seems overkill but I always try and be nice about it.

Now it's time to start ramping up the exercise for the trip. 5 months will be gone before I know it. I have a trip scheduled for Mt. Rainier in July so that will be a good workup to Yosemite. We don't have much in the way of mountains around here but there is enought elevation in the North Georgia/North Carolina mountains that I can get in some work.

Thanks again and keep those ideas of "gotta do this' and "consider trying this" coming!

Vidalia
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Bear boxes should be available. Not sure about the privies. They don't "take them down" like they do the tents, but the doors may be locked.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Most bear boxes I have seen are mounted in concrete. Not real portable. So they will be usable all year....

Colder weather/shoulder season temps are no place for cotton. Fleece, down jackets, waterproof gear, heavier base layers - I have taken both mid- and expedition weight base layers, a 300wt windstopper fleece, a down jacket, and a rain shell. Layering all these kept me warm at 9,500 feet on a clear night when the temps dropped into the 20s in November. I wore both mid and expedition weight tops to bed, with fleece pants and two pair of thick wool socks, inside the 20F down quilt I had. Was comfortable all night while the lake and any mud in the trail froze.... Cotton will get wet and stay wet, synthetics are good, wool is excellent, and down is tops. Next winter I plan to have down booties and mittens, and down beanie - the balaclava is nice but not enough for a cold sleeper.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I generally agree with Almost There and I personally never take anything cotton except my handkerchief. However if you are hiking down to Yosemite Valley your last day and you like the cooling effects of wet cotton, and don't mind the extra weight then by all means carry the extra shirt but,imho, carry your full complement of synthetic clothing.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Vidalia
Topix Novice

Post by Vidalia »

Thanks for the feedback on cotton. I wasn't really saying I was thinking of choosing cotton as my means to stay dry or warm. I was thinking how nice a dry cotton tshirt feels and since the rain chance is pretty low and the humidity is usually low I might just consoder throwing in an old cotton tshirt to wear around camp. Thay are comfortable!

On the issue of choosing the right gear. The suggestion was made to carry a down jacket or vest. Wouldn't the same reason you suggest against cotton go for down also? Once down gets wet it dries even slower than cotton and the warmth value is zilch.

I started backpacking with frameless cotton canvas rucksacks with no hip belt, Korea era shelter halves and hand me down army boots. The best pair of hiking pants I ever had were a pair of Greek military 100% wool pants I found at an Army Navy surplus store in New Jersey. Came with a pair of suspenders and lasted almost 20 years before they finally wore out. Wish I could find another pair.

Beleive me, I have more damn technical clothing than I will ever use (so says my wife!). I will be appropriately outfitted with clothing that has all the requisite name labels on it.

Thanks again!

Vidalia
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I like wearing cotton T's also and almost always carry one with me.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Vidalia wrote: I noticed the High Sierra Camps are tentatively scheduled to close by Sept 6 so they will not be open when we hike. Are the privies still usable after they close? What about the bear boxes? We will be taking bear containers of course but I was wondering if anything was left after the camps closed?
In my experience, the privies have been open, at least in Glen Aulin (even had a solar charged light in it, so when you opened the door, a light would come on for a reasonable amount of time.)

Vogelsang has always had problems with their toilets, and in '08, we didn't try them.

Here's a pic of Vogelsang HSC below Fletcher. Note how dry it was in '06. Same in '08.
HPIM0338.jpg
The bear boxes are all there, but... If you're anywhere near Vogelsang, that is not the place to camp. You'll probably end up at Ireland the first night (smallish fish.) If you make it to Evelyn, There's a big tree on the NE shore that is perfect to camp behind. Blocks the wind, and the fishing right off that bench is excellent. I've camped there about 9 times. Most go to the "delta" area, hence, i don't.

As I've always gone to that area in mid/late Sept, It has always been warm days with the occasional cold front. The rule of the day was cotton T's and shorts for hiking, but then carrying a full set of fleece and rain gear. It can and does drop into the teens in mid Sept, and lots of wind.

Given you're ticket is for Lyell, you won't run into the pack trains until you hit Vogelsang. After the HSC's close, there are daily mule trains, generally 3 at a time to go up and carry out stuff. You probably wont have a problem with that. As I like Rafferty that time of year to get to Evelyn, I find myself either following the droppings all the way up or helping corral a loose Mule who didn't want to cross the bridge.

Anyway, It'll be an epic adventure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am not sure why you want to camp at one of the High Sierra Camps if they are closed. In fact I am not sure why anyone would camp there unless you have booked a good dinner! There are so many beautiful places to camp that are not so over-run with people. You are required to have a bear cannister anyway, so the use of the bear boxes are really not needed. I find the Sierra High Camps really dusty, dirty and run down by Fall.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Wandering Daisy wrote:You are required to have a bear cannister anyway, so the use of the bear boxes are really not needed.
Are you sure you are required to have a bear cannister if you are staying in an area where there are bear boxes ? Seems to me you wouldn't need one if bear boxes are available.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

That is what I was told the last time I got a permit. This was not the case several years ago. Evidently, they are worried about what you would do if the bear boxes filled up. But you need to check on this. Sometimes individuals who give out permits are not technically correct on what they tell or require of you.