I would like to introduce myself with a trip report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

I would like to introduce myself with a trip report

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Hi. I have been on this forum for a while and have not really introduced myself. I also post on another forum as “Wandering Daisy”. I meant to keep this “trail name” on this forum, but messed up when I joined! Oh, well. My two places I have hiked the most are the Wind River Mountains in Wyoming and the Sierra. There is so much knowledge of the Sierra on this post that I thought I would start out with part of a trip I did in 2008. I think this may be an area that many folks here have not visited.

As part of a solo 10-day loop from North Lake in August 2008, I traversed through the upper reaches of east and west Pinnacle Creek and Lower Honeymoon Lake to Golden Lake. This is an interesting and pristine area for those who have seen much of the Sierra and want something different. Route finding is tricky. The headwaters of both Pinnacle Creeks are very pristine and scenic, however less spectacular than Royce Lakes or Seven Gables. I did not try fishing, but I did see fish. If you want remoteness, this is it.

Melody Lakes

Seven Gables to Three Island Lake. I descended a faint use-trail to the point where you intersect the main trail by going up a cliffy section. Instead, I crossed the creek and traversed off-trail (some tricky route finding and steep slabs) to Lou Beverly Lake. I ran into some off-and-on use-trails before intersecting the Sandpiper Lake Trail. I crossed the outlet of Sandpiper and traveled off-trail south past Melody Lakes to Three Island Lake. All the lakes are very pretty and travel is easy but a bit complex getting around all the water. I camped about half way down the west shore of Three Island Lake. All the lakes looked like they would support fish. The lakes were delightful and the view of Seven Gables ever present.

Three Island Lake Camp

Three Island Lake to Big Chief Lake. I headed to a saddle that is the headwaters of Senger Creek, east of Sharp Note Lake. The route is fairly straight forward on benches to the Senger drainage. About half way up I dropped my pack and hoped talus to Sharp Note Lake and was not impressed. As I went over the saddle I dropped slightly into the Senger Creek drainage before climbing up lots of slabs and traversed on the edge of the cliff that drops to Three Island Lake. The views were spectacular. Finally I dropped slightly to the small but very pristine Turret Lakes where I ran into several Ptarmigan. The drop to Old Squaw Lake is down a difficult gully that is quite steep in places. There are two distinct branches- I stayed in the south branch. I dropped my pack at Old Squaw and did a loop hike to Wampum and Tether Lakes, through quite barren terrain. Then I dropped to Big Chief and camped at the south end. In the evening I hiked to Pendant and Spearpoint Lake. I could see fish in Spearpoint Lake. I think Big Chief and Spearpoint would be worthwhile fishing places.

View of Three Island Lake from Flat Note Pass

Turret Lake

Old Squaw Lake

Wampum Lake

Big Chief Lake Camp

Big Chief to Big Moccasin Lake. I dropped along the west bench of Spearpoint Lake to the outlet, crossed, climbed up past Pemican Lake and then up another few hundred feet before traversing to the unnamed lakes east of the Pinnacles. The traverse was cliffy with lots of small ups and downs. The terrain kept forcing me down, so I had to then scramble up to the next bench. I looped all the way up to Aweetasal Lake and decided to find a camp lower. All these upper lakes are rocky and quite barren – pretty in a very stark way. I dropped over a little pass northwest of Big Moccasin Lake and camped on the ridge to the southwest where I not only got up out of the mosquitoes but also had a great view of French Canyon. Big Moccasin Lake is quite pretty.

Outlet of Spearpoint Lake

Negit Lake

Big Moccasin Lake

Big Moccasin Lake to Packsaddle Lake. I dropped to Little Moccasin Lake and then zig-zagged down ramps and through a bit of brush northeast of East Pinnacle Creek and intersected the Piute Canyon Trail about a half mile west of Hutchinson Meadow. The brush was moderately miserable. After many days of seeing nobody, I ran into lots of people. I missed the “trail”, if there is one, to Lower Honeymoon Lake but the travel was not too bad, once I crossed Piute Creek (very brushy). Mosquitoes were horrible on the river. Most of the time, I walked up nice rock slabs. Then I traversed to Lobe Lakes. It must have been the end of day exhaustion, but I certainly took a horrible traverse to Packsaddle Lake. Went too high – cliffed out- slithered down steep mud, lost way too much elevation, and ascended what seemed forever, to Packsaddle Lake, where I immediately jumped in! I found a nice campsite west of the outlet. The views at Packsaddle Lake are spectacular. From Packsaddle Lake it is a fairly easy walk to the Golden Lakes, where there were again, many people.

Little Moccasin Lake

East Pinnacle Creek

Lower Honeymoon Lake

Lobe Ponds

Packsaddle Lake
tightline
Topix Acquainted

Re: I would like to introduce myself with a trip report

Post by tightline »

that's cool. there is a lot of that country that you took in that I have wanted to go to for years.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Wow. Now THAT is an introduction!

You covered a ton of ground there, felt like a whirlwind tour of Sierra Highlights!
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

I absolutely love this area, and you don't see many signs of people. I've done various loops, and in fact we were just talking about it over in the fishing forum, discussion called "Daydream Flyover." I didn't find the travel as vexing as you did perhaps, as we didn't have any problem descending from Turret Peak area to west Pinn. In fact I was surprised as to how user-friendly it was (given some of the other things I've been over in that area like Ruskie Pass). We usually come in via teh east side, not ideal, but coming from Seattle it ends up being more in line with our over-all vacation plans.

BTW, if this area was closer to trailheads, it would have climbing routes everywhere.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Pretty area, and I enjoy the views from the eastern side of the Pinnacles more than
from the west.
The view of the jagged ridge from Negit Lake has always been my favorite in that
area.
I have fond memories of going into Upper Turret Lakes from Sallie Keyes Lakes on
a trip to Upper Mills Creek Lake (10 day trip) back in the 80's.
Thanks for the TR and pictures.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you for the pics and report. Good to see you here.
Piece of cake.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Thanks for posting Wandering Daisy! Loved the TR and photos (this is an area I've been dying to explore a lot more when I have the time). I know you have a lot to contribute in both reports and expertise, and I'm looking forward to more! :righton:
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

Welcome WD! I too look forward to more.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Welcome aboard, WD, and thanks for your smashing debut trip report! That really gets the cabin fever burning.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Name change approved.
Excellent post!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix