Terraserver

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Terraserver

Post by frediver »

Is anyone else having trouble using the new terraserver web site ( MSR )
I can't get the main search click to zoom map to work on the main page.
The smaller map to the left of the page will work but it is so small it is useless.
Is it just me?
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Terraserver

Post by Cloudy »

Haven't tried it recently but here is another useful tool if you need it:

http://mapper.acme.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Acme is not one I knew of -- good Topo map not available on Google. Thanks.

So while we're on maps, here's something I could use people's opinions on. Here's a SPOT reported "OK" activation sent to user's list of people:

SPOT Check OK.
ESN:0-7367445
Latitude:36.7776
Longitude:-118.4262
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:04/16/2008 20:27:48 (GMT)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... &z=12&om=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on the link and tell me your first impression of where the location of the signal comes from?? Not sure it's true on all browser screen sizes, so I'm interested in what other people get.

Most of you probably have experience here, but I'm interested in first impressions in finding a location from the link.

Thanks,

g.

PS: I'd never used Terraserver, so not sure what I was supposed to get.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

After some map fiddeling...East Fork Dougherty Creek (sp?), ~100 yards south of the confluence of two rivers/creeks - one coming from the State Lakes, the other lake un-named...~10,100 ft elevation.
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

gdurkee wrote:So while we're on maps, here's something I could use people's opinions on. Here's a SPOT reported "OK" activation sent to user's list of people:

SPOT Check OK.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... &z=12&om=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on the link and tell me your first impression of where the location of the signal comes from?? Not sure it's true on all browser screen sizes, so I'm interested in what other people get.

Interesting. I followed the link, looked at it and decided to use google earth instead. First, i entered the Lat/Lon coords and got this near Charlotte Lake:
spot image.jpg
Now, that doesn't look like what the link in your post looked like, so i panned around and matched terrain based on what i saw in google maps from the link. Here's what your link pointer was really showing (near Glacier Valley and SW of State Lakes:
where the link points.jpg
Something seems wrong with what is displayed by the link. I'd go with Lat/Lon everytime.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

[quote="gdurkee"]Acme is not one I knew of -- good Topo map not available on Google. Thanks.

So while we're on maps, here's something I could use people's opinions on. Here's a SPOT reported "OK" activation sent to user's list of people:

SPOT Check OK.

quote]

On the banks of Charlotte Lake .
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

George,
Assume the object of this exercise is to prove how "invaluable" the SPOT would be in the event of an actual Call For Help, especially for someone not leaving a trail of crumbs as they go along.
Sure narrows it down to an exact location...somewhere - pick one...
State or Charlotte Lakes...or?
I always doubted their value (more of a crutch or a wife pleaser), but now it makes me ask just how dependable/ worthwhile this $400 POS actually is. Does this happen on a regular basis or is this an isolated instance? Is it a map thing?
Perhaps they should call it the Toyota of personal location devices.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Well a SPOT does not cost $400.00, the 1st year is more like $250.00 I think with service. $150.00 unit + $100.00yr. IIRC.
Now a 406 rescue beacon will cost $300.00 and has no additional fee's but also
only works as a rescue beacon.
If I was going to buy a unit it would be a 406 style beacon, IMO Spot has always had service issues.

IMO I don't have either one and likely never will unless I buy an airplane or Ocean
Liner.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

I should have posted a little more information, but didn't want to skew what people might see. When I did it (on two computers) and using the link supplied, it showed an "A" in the middle of a map. A first glance might suggest that's the coordinate location but it's only just telling you it's Sequoia Kings Parks. Panning out quite a ways, you see a green arrow that's the coordinate location (at Charlotte Lake). I'm following up on a SPOT signal from last year where the SAR agency searched the wrong area. I'm trying to figure out what went wrong.

I've eliminated the SPOT device and GPS location. SPOT/GEOS gave me the coordinates they reported and they match where the person who activated it said she was (about 20 miles south of the search area). So I've been looking at transcription error along the reporting sequence; mis-plotting the coordinates by the SAR group; or misreading the Google map.

And you're right, Google Earth, Acme, TOPO & ArcGIS Explorer all show the point exactly (which is only a test file I had -- not the coordinates generated by the 911 activation). A couple of you confirm reading the "A" as the location, which is my worry and possibly an explanation for searching the wrong area (I haven't yet talked to their SAR people).

So I was wondering if what I saw on the screen was unique to my screen size/resolution and if other users might think the "A" was the coordinate location.

It's a really interesting case with a lot to learn. When I get it sort of together, I'll post our results and recommendations.

Thanks for the comments so far!

g.
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

I didn't look at the coordinates but having experience with people that tend to misunderstand things or fail to make the next simple logical connection, I would have to say that when lives are at stake, there should be little room for misunderstanding (easy to say, hard to do). If what you see first is an "A", I would start guessing exactly what "A" means. Does it mean Alarm? Activation? Area? If there is no visible map key, I don't know. It's possible that I would just make that assumption. I KNOW some folks that I work with would automatically assume that.

Alan

P.S. My income tax refund came in and I have finally been considering a PLB since I am generally a self-reliant, lone wanderer. The people that care about me want me to get one but it's just such a large chunk of change... I just don't know.