Nine Lake Basin to Kern-Kaweah River

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Nine Lake Basin to Kern-Kaweah River

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I should clearify the Pyra Queen Col description. From the Keweah Basin side you want to stay RIGHT (north) of the main drainage (you actually go past some ponds) before traversing into the talus-filled main drainage. (left of the drainage IF going from Nine Lakes Basin to Keweah Basin) The more you can stay out of the main drainage, the better. You traverse a considerable distance on a high snowfield after leaving the main drainage to reach the pass that is on the south end of the broad saddle. I think this pass would be really scarey for someone who does not have mountaineering experience. It certainly would not be my preferred route to get to Keweah Basin. I had originally planned on going out via Keweah Pass but it looked worse! I did not try it. At the time, there was little snow on Keweah Pass and it looked like horribly loose large talus blocks.
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Nine Lake Basin to Kern-Kaweah River

Post by EpicSteve »

Thank you, Wandering Daisy. I've now read enough harrowing descriptions of the various steep talus passes that my friend Radnord and I have decided to approach Kaweah Basin from the north, from the Gallats "Lake" area. Instead of approaching via Nine Lake Basin, we'll approach via Lion Lake Pass and Triple Divide Pass. This new plan appears to involve more fun route-finding anyway.
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti