Trips for 2010

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trips for 2010

Post by TehipiteTom »

Last day of the year, which means maybe it's time for the annual what-trips-are-you-planning-next year thread...

I'm planning to do a version of the Tablelands trip I bailed on last year, but I'm thinking 5 (or 6) days instead of 4, and I'd like to work in Moose Lake and maybe Little Lakes. Tentative route would be day 1-->Little Lakes, Day 2-->Crescent Lake or possibly Box Canyon, Day 3-->Ferguson West Fork, Day 4-->Moose Lake, and day 5 out.

Also looking at a 4-day Sawtooth Ridge area trip, up Little Slide Canyon, over to Slide Canyon, to Rock Island Lake, and then out. Or if I have more time (6 days+) I might try a route that takes in Thompson Canyon and Tilden Lake...little more iffy, though.

Probably some shorter trips in addition, or I might extend one or both of these by a day or two (depending on how much vacation I have).

What are the rest of y'all planning?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Trips for 2010

Post by maverick »

Hi TT

I like the second trip, your planning to visit some of my favorite areas in Yosemite with Slide
Canyon, and Thompson Canyon, which show case some pretty lakes, especially TC.
Last edited by maverick on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Just thinking about this yesterday....summer 2010.
Couple of trips taking shape ...going for a month again so...
First, thinking about Northern YNP...maybe visit Roosevelts and make my way up to Smedberg - Rodgers area and eventually down to Pate by some route. This trip (10 - 12 days) will get into shape and me back into Tuolumne for whatever the second adventure brings.
Second, OldRanger (Mike) promised to show me how to fish - again, and he is not that bad to hike with....(as long as he stays downwind.) Lets see what he comes up with...probably just tag along with him for 2 weeks and laugh a lot.
Mountainman who swims with trout
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

markskor wrote:Just thinking about this yesterday....summer 2010.
Couple of trips taking shape ...going for a month again so...
First, thinking about Northern YNP...maybe visit Roosevelts and make my way up to Smedberg - Rodgers area and eventually down to Pate by some route. This trip (10 - 12 days) will get into shape and me back into Tuolumne for whatever the second adventure brings.
Second, OldRanger (Mike) promised to show me how to fish - again, and he is not that bad to hike with....(as long as he stays downwind.) Lets see what he comes up with...probably just tag along with him for 2 weeks and laugh a lot.
Keep me posted...would love to hook up with you and Mike again. Especially if he's catching fish, and you're cooking them. ;)

(and by the way, my first resolution of the New Year is to finally write that trip report...)
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

We've got a few different ideas, including Northern YNP: Matterhorn area etc. Plus maybe CLoud and Deadman Canyons in SEKI. And probably shorter trips in both Emigrant and Desolation...

And....too many trips, not enough time!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

balzaccom wrote:And....too many trips, not enough time!
So true!

Only one trip planned for sure: Royce lakes and every lake around Puppet Lk for about 7 days, as late in Sept as possible (weather might push it forward.) Never been there and i have to see it and fish it.

Other trips in the works are Wallowa wilderness in Oregon and a trip back to the Trinity Alps.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

rlown wrote:
balzaccom wrote:Other trips in the works are Wallowa wilderness in Oregon and a trip back to the Trinity Alps.
Never been up to the Wallowas--one of these days. I'd like to get in another Trinities trip too this year--have to see how it goes.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

(pause to lift a beer-Malheur Brut Reserve) Yes 'tis the time to daydream about the next season. Sadly, I will probably not be eligible for any sort of death march again this year. For negotiating, I cut the international geology trips out, but there is some extra geology trips in the late summer and fall that will probably doom any angle on negotiating a death march slot.

I can always daydream, though, and my daydreams haven't changed too much since summer of 2009 (when I traded away death march rights for international geology trips in 2008/2009):
1. If I get a single 5 day slot: N. Lake entry: Puppet and vicinity, Pinnacles Creek, Lower Turret, Ramona, Goethes (this is what happens when you get 5 days every third year or so--gotta cram in 10 days worth).
2. If I get a single 4 day slot: (a) perhaps abbreviated version of above, not losing sight of main Pinnacles Creek-Turret area (not very likely on a 4 day trip, though). (b) "mellow" loop: Bighorn, Rosy Finch, Red and White, Hortense, Brave, Arrowhead etc.
3. If I get a single 3 day slot: (a) Possible 3 day shot in the name of geologic research. Some geologic research, one crummy peak to bag, fishing for goldens in the same lake that 28 inch fish came out of last summer.
(b) Extremely strenuous commando raid on Mt. Florence (the Yosemite one), (b) S. Mineral King and trailless areas SE (possible climb of Needham and one other).
4. If I get a single 2 day slot. Kinda limiting, but I'd figure something out. S. Yosemite, or I'd go to the 'usual' spots E of Wishon.

I will certainly get some dayhiking and backpacking with the family and kids. I hope to do at least two backpacking trips: one to the go-to trailless spot I've taken the family each of the last two years and the other to the Dinkey Lake area. Little Lakes Valley is also in consideration. Dayhikes ('sneak out' style) with my wife will include some of the usual suspects in Dinkey and Kaiser and we'll probably hit more of the Hwy 41 territory (Ansel Adams and even S. Yosemite) based on my favorable times from the Cora Lake scouting run last summer. There is a S. Yosemite spot that we may scout first, then take the kids on a later trip.
Last edited by giantbrookie on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Hi guys!

If the year turns out to be a real el nino dump then most of my usual early season trips are out. My son graduates from college in May and is planning on heading to Coast Guard bootcamp in early August. So instead of an early season backpack we are considering a week or so canoe trip in Boundary Waters. In mid June a work camp at Holden Village in the North Cascades. What we do in July depends on how much snow falls and how fast it melts. Might end up doing the lakes around Pleasant Valley or other remote low sierra lakes--maybe Vernon, Branigan, Jack Main Canyon but the water in Falls creek is likely to be pretty high still if there is a lot of snow and a cool spring. My big trip is to kind of reproduce GBs Tunechuck trip only taking at least 2x the days to do it. In late April/early May. My wife and I are planning a car camping/lodge sleeping/day hiking trip to s. Utah/ N. Arizona. I put in for the lottery to hike into the "Wave" for any of the last 3 days in April and if I don't get it I'll try for the first 3 days in May. From the wave we plan on heading to Zion and Car Camp for 4 or 5 days. Then head to the lodge in Bryce for a couple of nights. We have also entered the lottery for the Yosemite High Sierra Camps for late Aug./early September. Kathy has always wanted to do that. And what she wants she gets! (If we win the lottery) the plan is to do May Lake, Glen Aulin, TMeadows, Vogelsang (2 nights), Merced Lake (2 nights), Sunrise then out. Given that I am on the maxiflex old fart schedule I fully expect to meet up with markskor, maverick, and Tehipite Tom again and wouldn't be surprised if I crossed paths with riown next summer as well.

I can't imagine pinning any Sierra trip down in June/july until April or even May when I can make an educated guess as to relatively snow free access to places that require easy fords at stream crossings.

Happy Planning (DREAMING!)

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Everything is up in the air right now. Wife is trying to get a new job. If she does, then asking for a week or so off soon after starting is not real good career planning... :eek:

Still trying to head over Great Basin NP and spend some time in that neck of the woods. Don't know if we'll make it this year.

Still have Bowron Lakes in BC on my bucket list.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=